Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Dielectric in capacitor question....

Status
Not open for further replies.

elec123

Hi,

I've been given this question, and i can't get to the answer and it's driving me mad (prob bein very slow!)

So here it is...

A parallel plate, air filled capacitor is connected to a voltage source of constant voltage. The electric field strength between the plates is then 50kV/m. The plate area is 25cm^2. The space between the plates is now filled with a dielectric of relative permittivity 4.0.

Find the charge on the plates of the capacitor

Here's how i have tackled it...

The resultant electric field in the dielectric is 50kV/m.
Get the area in SI units so A = (25*10-2)^2 = 0.0625m^2

Used the formula E= Q / (Er.E0.A )

Rearranged : Q = E.Er.E0.A

with E= 50,000 Er = 4 E0 = 8.85*10^-12

with these values i get Q = 1.1*10^-7

when the correct answer is Q = 4.4*10^-9

Any help on this question would be much appreciated.....

Thanks

You are misinterpreting the area. If you use A=25e-4 (25 sq. cm.), it works out. In other words, the plates are not a square, 25 cm on a side. They are a square, 5 cm on a side, or a rectangle, 2.5 cm X 10 cm, or...

I remember asking an instructor about a problem where the capacitance of a IC region was stated in terms of pF/cm^2, but the actual way it was written was a bit more ambiguous.

I wanted to be sure if the parameter was pF per sq cm, or if this was pF per 1/100th of a sq meter (like I say, there was something odd about the particular way he'd written it that I don't recall).

He insisted they were the same thing and couldn't understand why I would ask such a nonsense question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back