Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Didn't think of that...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sceadwian

Banned
Should make you think twice about all those grid tie inverter schematics from solar and wind you can find.

**broken link removed**

Power network distribution is... <gasp> complicated.

From the article.
In a letter to the NSW pricing regulator, obtained by The Australian, Ausgrid warns that in areas with a high concentration of solar cells, voltage levels can rise and this can have "consequences for appliances and equipment in customers' homes"

To be taken with more then a grain of salt.

I knew I felt a disturbance in the force!:eek:

Interesting but they openly admit its partly due to inadequate electrical service capacity in the areas most affected plus having people putting in systems that put out far more peak power than is being used in those locations.

Odds are me and the people with the pirate GTI schematics are hardly to blame though but as we all know no good deed goes unpunished! :p

Last edited:
I didn't say anything about or intimate anything about blame TCMTech, as the article states and you did it's mostly concerning areas that already have a problem. The simple intent was to get anyone with an interest in GTI's a little bit of thought about their local conditions before they do something. Good article if you ask me, till I read that I wasn't even aware something like that was possible, but the power grid in the US is far different, so are the local consumption demands and power company distribution ability. Just another factor people should be thinking about.

I wasn't feeling blamed for anything besides I have big shoulders I can take it rather well. You have seen what I have been blamed for, accused of, and pointed at enough times on the forums to know I don't have any problem shrugging it off and continuing on as I please just the same.

If anything blaming/accusing me just makes me want to do it more anyway! :p

I found the article rather well balanced being they actually openly admitted that an equal part of the problem comes from the grid side of the system not being sufficient and not souly from the GTI guys who are over driving their systems in feedback mode.

Odds are me and the people with the pirate GTI schematics are hardly to blame
Then why mention blame in the first place? I didn't.

Our bit of the grid was sold about two years ago. The new company does not allow people to sell their generated power. In spite of all the conservation talk they are in the business to sell power not buy it.

They try that, but it doesn't always stop people. Since most setups still make less power then what your total demand is, you just need batteries in the system, and rig your grid tie inverters to only supply power at high demand times and supply less than your total. So nothing goes "back" to the grid, but it still comes directly off your consumed power so it comes off your electricity bill. :)

In that case, you don't need a grid tie inverter. Only an isolated inverter for local distrubution.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if this became a real problem? So much independently generated solar and wind energy that focus of attention turns toward the problem of storage in affected areas. Flow batteries, flywheels, pumped-water, thermal energy storage systems (or whatever) become necessary features of the national grid.

In that case, you don't need a grid tie inverter. Only an isolated inverter for local distrubution.

I think it still needs to be a grid tie inverter as it is connected to your house mains, which is connected to the grid. So the inverter needs to be a type that will sense mains freq and phase etc and supply current into that waveform and not conflict with it. As far as I know that needs grid tie inverter?

The other option would be at times to disconnect your house from the grid at the fusepanel, then run a conventional inverter for a while.

Exactly thats the whole point of grid tie power feedback. Its just so that you do not have to unhook your stuff and plug it into a dedicated battery based power source. Everything stays connected to the lines as it normally does and you use it as you normally do without the hassle and added cost of having inverters and batteries to deal with.

Just as the article points out its the feeding back far more than you use into a outdated or weak municipal power grid that causes problems. If you are not over producing you appear to have simply cut your power consumption down and nothing more.

There are other solutions that allow you to not need to unhook your stuff. You don't need a GTI for that.

Are you talking about running separate circuits? That's an old-school way of doing solar. It's good in some ways as you get some "green" power points in your house, and some "grid" power points. That's a nice flexibility.

But it still means you need to micro-manage your consumption from the two sources.

With batteries and GT inverter you could set it to always supply less than your instantaneous consumption, so it never tries to feed power back to the grid. Power companies that won't allow buy backs usually will have power meters that don't run backwards (they may even run forward and charge you for the power you are giving to them!).

Are you talking about running separate circuits? That's an old-school way of doing solar. It's good in some ways as you get some "green" power points in your house, and some "grid" power points. That's a nice flexibility.

Not exactly. I'm just saying power can be switched over without having to connect an inverter to the grid. The inverter would need to sense the grid's phase though. Sort of how a UPS works. I have given thoughts to the "green" power points, and even "backup" power points, so that in the case of grid failure, I only run essential circuits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back