Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Diamonds are forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

t.o.

I heart the news said that the experts could tell the difference between a nature diamond with a laboratory made one. How do they do that?

I would imagine the differance is pretty clear under a microscope?

I got to look at diamonds under a gemscope when I bought my wife's engagment ring. I was surprised how they all look about the same to the naked eye, but are very interesting to look at under the high magnafication.

Well, if thats true, I would also be curious.

Maybe somone else has an idea?

Edit: A bit of googling indicates that it is hard to distingush the man made stones from mined stones. They are the same down to the atomic structure. One bit I read said the only way a jeweler could tell them apart was the mad man stones are too perfect due to the fact that the pressure used to create them is more even.

**broken link removed**

Check out the part about diamond semiconductors! Never heard of such a thing!

Last edited:
t.o. said:
I heart the news said that the experts could tell the difference between a nature diamond with a laboratory made one. How do they do that?

It's the news, they can tell you anything and people will believe it!!!

using the same materials
if you condence them hard inuf and long inuf then your likely to endup with the same thing, as from trying to tell them apart, i dont think you could know for shore, even if a diomond was evenly pressurized, there's nothing to say that its not a real diomond, all diomonds(and everything for that matter) are different in some way.

Moisanite (man-made diamond) can actually be harder than natural diamonds. There are Moisanite stones that are off the Rockwell scale. Moisanite can also be far costlier than natural diamonds as they are absolutely perfect when created for gemstone use. My wife has one and IT WAS EXPENSIVE!! Natural diamonds also refract light slightly different as well as have even the tiniest of inclusions in them... even if they claim to be "perfect".

It was probably phosphorescence, which is the after glow after they are exposed to light. Natural diamonds that contain boron or nitrogen as impurities (i.e., type IIB) phosphoresce at two wavelengths, 500 and 660 nm; synthetic diamonds do not emit at 660 nm. The pattern of the emission was also useful in identifying specific diamonds. This work was described in Science News, see: **broken link removed**

John

Ther is also test concerning thermal conductivity but I'm not sure if it works for diferentiating natural vs. man made diamonds. I think that it works if denisity of diamonds made by man is different from natural ones.

i spoke ones with a diamond trader and ask him the same question
his answer was that the light reflects a fraction diferent than the mmd (man made diamond) also the hardness was diferent
an other thing is that the perfect diamond (without impuritys) color wise and uncracked is not that comon as people think it is
thats why they're expensive
the many not perfect diamonds get their way in the avarage man jewelery and the real shitty ones that even your visualy handicapted grand mother will reconise as not nice they end up in drill bits and cutting tools

the mmd end up in 85% industrial applications but a few also end up in avarage man jewelery

Do manmade diamonds survive the felt pen test? A manmade diamond would reject the felt pen stroke on the diamond face, while a natural diamond would highlight the felt stroke without bleeding on the stone face.

Diamonds also make excellent heatsinks, they're the best thermal conductors known and one of the best electrical insulators so nothing is better suited to the job.

Check out the part about diamond semiconductors! Never heard of such a thing!

yer diamond semi are like the holy grail!!! can run at high temp, can block high voltage, can....

Problem is its a ***** to grow and even more of a ***** to dope - they have only just managed to dope diamond Ptype (which is useless as a semi unless you can get Ntype)

SiC is suppose to be the bridge between Diamond and exotic Silicon but that isn't that great either. Can make diodes easy enough and some JFET's but the yield is very low (something todo with micropiping in the crystal while it grows)

Nano technology is going to take us down this diamond road pretty soon if it works out. Deposited nano carbon particles are only a shade less perfect than a true diamond crystal, they'll probably hold up existing CMOS tech as the manufacturing techniques are refined. Using nano deposited carbon layers for gate and package insulation increases heat distribution and dramatically decreases gate capacitance. With ever and ever higher clock rates these insulation boundaries are the driving force in semi conductor manufacturing.

Nice to know we can just about obsolete the natural diamond from a material generation standpoint with technology. My wife would appreciate it as she abhors precious gems from a monetary and sentimental standpoint. She'd appreciate a random rock I picked up from the side of our street more if I'd put some thought into it and shaped it a little rather than some piece of cold rock that's been in the earth for a billion years and 6 months of my paycheck to acquire it. It's just pencil lead in a different form after all.

Reminds me, I need to find a random rock and put some effort into it.

Last edited:
Graphite and diamond are made of carbon (duh, but wait I am getting to a point), and graphite has carbon atoms are in hexagonal shapes, stacked vertically. Carbon in diamonds can be connected in pyramidal structures, or in complex interconnected structures.

That's right Sceadwian it's the thought that counts, if you find a nice enough looking stone and shape it so it looks cool, then she should be happy with it even if it didn't cost much.

Nano technology is going to take us down this diamond road pretty soon if it works out. Deposited nano carbon particles are only a shade less perfect than a true diamond crystal, they'll probably hold up existing CMOS tech as the manufacturing techniques are refined. Using nano deposited carbon layers for gate and package insulation increases heat distribution and dramatically decreases gate capacitance. With ever and ever higher clock rates these insulation boundaries are the driving force in semi conductor manufacturing.

Nice to know we can just about obsolete the natural diamond from a material generation standpoint with technology. My wife would appreciate it as she abhors precious gems from a monetary and sentimental standpoint. She'd appreciate a random rock I picked up from the side of our street more if I'd put some thought into it and shaped it a little rather than some piece of cold rock that's been in the earth for a billion years and 6 months of my paycheck to acquire it. It's just pencil lead in a different form after all.

Reminds me, I need to find a random rock and put some effort into it.

DId you get this in writing? :D

"Some thought" = "Some effort" = Equivelant of about 6 months of work

Or you could mine your own copper and use it to forge your own extremely effort and time-consuming ring.

I agree though. Some girls think that the more expensive a ring is, the more you love her which is silly. Something practical like a downpayment on a house is much more useful.

Last edited:
Some people apparently want to use man made diamonds to stop the creation open pit mines used to dig up natural diamonds. It will be interesting to see it that switch actually happens.

Interesting tid-bit: Techically diamonds are NOT forever, they exist as a metastable state of carbon that will decay into graphite if given enough time. Takes some millions to billions of years but that beautiful diamond rock will eventually become a hunk graphite.... eventually... :D

As for some women liking expensive jewellery rather than well-thought of gifts here's a colorful story:

One time i spent 8 months of my free time creating my own synthetic sapphire. Even concocted a special inert atmosphere chamber to precisely control what impurities got in so i could control the color. Once i got the hunk of sapphire i smashed it and ground/buffed/polished down the pieces to get several sapphire gems.

I electroformed an intricate copper box and gold plated it. Then I set the sapphire stones into the box. I installed an MP3 player circuit into a hidden compartment inside the box. In the top of the box I installed a solar panel but placed a piece of faceted glass over the panel so that you could not distinguish the electrodes of panel and thus not realized it was a solar panel but still allowing the solar panel to collect light. This panel charged and powered the mp3 player. Upon opening the player the music would play.

Essentially a high-tech music box. Albeit one with gold plating and artificial gems.

Gave it to my girlfriend as an anniversary gift.

Then she dumped me saying i was so cheap to give her a gold-plated fake instead of an actual gold box with real gems that i didn't deserve her.

I stopped dating after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back