Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DFF VLSI operation when t=0

Status
Not open for further replies.

qtommer

I have done a VLSI Design Layout Simulation of a D Flip-Flop. The timing diagram and schematic are as attached.

The simulation works fine and the results as desired. However I noticed, that at the timing diagram, when t=0, there seems to be a slight peaking at the output of Q' and a charge up at Q [indicated on the attached picture].

Why is this so?

Attachments

• p1.png
    p1.png
    88.3 KB · Views: 311
  • p2.png
    p2.png
    70 KB · Views: 332
I think it is an initial power up "race" condition where the cross-coupled E and F gates are both initially low at power-up, which feeds back to the inputs of E and F, but clearly, both cant be low nor both can be high at the same time, so due to a slight imbalance one wins. If you were using a "logic" simulator, both E and F would initially have a value of "unknown". If you are using a Spice sim, use the .IC statement to set one or the other to an initial state other than the default low, and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back