Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

devices password programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mel_noypi

hi
do any one know how to program a pic to store password and also capable for the user to edit the password.i am planing to apply it to my project a security devices which requires a user password before he can enter the system.
i am using BASIC language to programm a PIC16f877.

-tnx n advnc

Mel_noypi said:
hi
do any one know how to program a pic to store password and also capable for the user to edit the password.i am planing to apply it to my project a security devices which requires a user password before he can enter the system.
i am using BASIC language to programm a PIC16f877.

-tnx n advnc

If the user needs to be able to edit the password, then you need to store the password in the data EEPROM.

do i need a external device to store it or does my pic already have it?? by the way what are the difference between an EEPROM and a flash memmory? If i only need something to store some few numbers as password only by using pic16f877 what you suggest?

:?:

Mel_noypi said:
do i need a external device to store it or does my pic already have it?? by the way what are the difference between an EEPROM and a flash memmory? If i only need something to store some few numbers as password only by using pic16f877 what you suggest?

:?:

Many PIC's have a seperate data eeprom area, the 16F877 is one that does! - the datasheet explains how to write to it and read from it. There's also an example in one of my tutorials, the last IR remote one - it's used to store the current setting for when it powers back up.

Yet another project..

Hi all, I'm new to this forum.. Would like to continue this topic:

From what I've learnt, the PIC 16FXXX series has only a total of 13 I/O pins. In that case, if I'm using a 4x4 keypad + transmitting modules (switchable IR/RF) that means I've already used up 8 of the 13 I/O pins.

Thus, how am i able to create password entry/editing for the microcontroller with juz 5 pins left? That's assuming i will require an LCD screen for display purposes (and mabbe add on to user-friendliness?)

Thanks for your time!

Re: Yet another project..

sologuy7 said:
Thus, how am i able to create password entry/editing for the microcontroller with juz 5 pins left? That's assuming i will require an LCD screen for display purposes (and mabbe add on to user-friendliness?)
Thanks for your time!
if u intend to use an LCD also, u need a micro with more ports.

Re: Yet another project..

sologuy7 said:

Not enough pins? Why not try the 2-pin or 3-pin LCD interface. Or if you have lot of cash, buy a serial interface LCD.

2 Wire LCD Interface

3-wire serial LCD interface

You can easily interface a 4x4 keypad and an LCD to a 18 pin pic.

You need
4 data lines to LCD and (via diodes) to column of keypad.
3 control lines for LCD (E, RW & RS)
4 row lines from keypad.

The diodes are needed to prevent garbled data to the LCD when lots of keys are pressed.

Thats only eleven pins. As a 16f628 can have 16 I/O pins, you can add RS232 and some blinking LEDs as well.

As for a password, will it not be entered using the keypad?

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back