Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

determine P type or N type diode

Status
Not open for further replies.

shermaine

how do i detect? is it waveform on 1st quadrant is equal to P type and waveform on third quadrant is equal to n tpye?

I don't know what you're talking about.

There is no such thing as an P type or N type diode, all diodes have both P and N doped semiconductors in equal proportions.

The anode (P region) and cathode (N region) can be found using the diode test on a multimeter.

how do i detect? is it waveform on 1st quadrant is equal to P type and waveform on third quadrant is equal to n tpye?
Instead of describing, why not upload a picture of what you have, and it helps to analyse?

Last edited:
i mean as to determine pnp or npn diode

hi Shermaine,

A transistor has a pn and a np junction.

In a pnp transistor the 'n' section is sandwiched between the two outer 'p' sections.

With a npn transistor its the 'p' section in the middle of the sandwich.

Is this what you mean.?:)

You mean transistor, not diode.

Use the diode tester on your multimeter. If you put the anode on the base, the emitter and collector should conduct it it's an NPN transistor but won't on a PNP transistor. If you put the cathode on the base, the emitter and collector should conduct if it's a PNP transistor but it won't if it's an NPN transistor.

hi Shermaine,

A transistor has a pn and a np junction.

In a pnp transistor the 'n' section is sandwiched between the two outer 'p' sections.

With a npn transistor its the 'p' section in the middle of the sandwich.

Is this what you mean.?:)

yap..this is what i meant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back