Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

detector?

Status
Not open for further replies.

epilot

Hello friends,

i need for something(sensor or a circuit) to detect when someone is awake from sleeping, i mean it must be at standby state while the person is sleep and when he or she is waked up the sensor or circuit must detect this state

thanks in any advice

epilot said:
Hello friends,

i need for something(sensor or a circuit) to detect when someone is awake from sleeping, i mean it must be at standby state while the person is sleep and when he or she is waked up the sensor or circuit must detect this state

thanks in any advice

Check harborfreight.com search for driveway patrol. They go on sale for $14.95 and it is all battery operated and RF with a loud buzzer.

Check harborfreight.com search for driveway patrol. They go on sale for $14.95 and it is all battery operated and RF with a loud buzzer.[/quote]

if your mean is this: https://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93068

it seems that is a PIR package and i am in doubt how it can detect if someone is awake from sleeping without any motion?!
it is a human body IR sensitive sensor and i think it is good for a dead person and will make alert when the dead comebacks to life :wink:

by woken up do you mean sits up in bed,gets out of bed, opens eyes or any other way of determining if someone has woken up?

falmeshon said:
by woken up do you mean sits up in bed,gets out of bed, opens eyes or any other way of determining if someone has woken up?

i mean open eyes :wink:

I would guess you would need to sample brain waves and see what level of sleep they are in. And I am not sure if it would work on a sleep walker. It would also probably need sensors connected to the head or forehead.

Even a computer scan of a camera over a bed would be hard, you would need IR, not sure if that is good, and software to scan for the whites of there eyes.

As tossing and turning would be a problem or sleeping on their side.

Or heart rate/breathing. Sounds like a scary movie where the person eyes open real fast.

So is there anything else to go on other than eyes opening? Otherwise, out of ideas here. Reflection off the eyes?

akg said:
i have heard that during sleep our skin temp drops. so u can check that parameter to determine the sleep(?) .
also what abt a pressure sensor in the bed.(assuming an awake person will get up from bed)

i dont think the body temp incraces immediately ater awake if the idea about skin tem be correct.

no pressure sensor is not good because i need to know if someone is awake from sleeping

epilot said:
i dont think the body temp incraces immediately ater awake if the idea about skin tem be correct.
no pressure sensor is not good because i need to know if someone is awake from sleeping
i feel . sleep itself is a complex psyological and psychological state .sensing EEG would be the best bet other than temp/breathing/heart rate etc. may be a psychologist could help u.we have to think of other possibilities.

hmmm..or else..tell the person to press a button when (s)he wakes up :D ..just kidding...

Didn't we have a similar question awhile ago?
Skin temp: basically impossible
Eyes: extremely impractical. Not only would it be very advanced for a machine vision application to determine this, but you'd also need cameras from different directions. I could still always find an angle not covered by a camera.
Motion: Well, you can detect when somebody walks by, but that's not really the question. You can't point a PIR motion detector at the bed either. Awake people sometimes don't move. Sleeping people turn over in bed which can set off a PIR.
Respiration, heartbeat: not all that consistent, and you need sensors hooked up to the person.

Basically "asleep" is a pretty tough determination. It's only really possible with brainwave measurements. I'm not sure if wiring up a person's head is what you have in mind though.

Oznog said:
Didn't we have a similar question awhile ago?
Skin temp: basically impossible
Eyes: extremely impractical. Not only would it be very advanced for a machine vision application to determine this, but you'd also need cameras from different directions. I could still always find an angle not covered by a camera.
Motion: Well, you can detect when somebody walks by, but that's not really the question. You can't point a PIR motion detector at the bed either. Awake people sometimes don't move. Sleeping people turn over in bed which can set off a PIR.
Respiration, heartbeat: not all that consistent, and you need sensors hooked up to the person.

Basically "asleep" is a pretty tough determination. It's only really possible with brainwave measurements. I'm not sure if wiring up a person's head is what you have in mind though.

no,we talked about the ways of Sleeping detectionthe not awake detection ,
but it seems there is not a way for detecting both sleeping detection and awake detection.

i think that is not a good idea using from hooking sensors becuse we need to join the sensors on the person's body, by the way i will need for some sensors and a software that i am not sure how i can find them....

No there are ways as one person mentioned (Oznog I think). But they are not practical, cost wise. Unless you are marketing this thing and have lots of people that will spend crazy money on it.

3 cameras around the head in the room and IR light (to light up whites of eyes) and special software to detect the eyes when they open. So there is a way. The same person mentioned sensors on the eyes I think. Cheaper, annoying, but will work if you can fall asleep with them on.

So there are ways, just not one that makes since..

Why do you need this item if I might ask. Maybe there is another angle to get the job done. I learned on my first post, you can not provide enough details, and even at that, it seems there are never enough. But I did get my solution to the problem (Thanks again to Ron H and Nigel).

agree with mramos1.

To detect open eyes have a camera that only shoots in infrared mode (night mode). You can easily modify a webcam to do this by placing regular photographic film across the CCD. When eyes open, the camera will view the eyes as two bright objects. You can then use pattern recognition software to detect this.

A similar method is in the works for detecting bootleg movie makers in cinemas, as camera lenses exhibit the same effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back