Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Detecting Zero Crossing in AC220V using resistor

Status
Not open for further replies.

skmdmasud

Hi..
i was wondering can i use a 2Mega or 3Mega Ohms resistor in the interrupt pin of my uC to detect AC220V zero crossing. I understand my uC will not be mains isolated which is ok for my application.

Regards.:)

Hi..
i was wondering can i use a 2Mega or 3Mega Ohms resistor in the interrupt pin of my uC to detect AC220V zero crossing. I understand my uC will not be mains isolated which is ok for my application.

Regards.:)

hi,
This is a microchip pdf for mains interrupt.
E

Attachments

• PICtoAC.pdf
    69.6 KB · Views: 445
When you connect to the power line look at the resistor voltage ratings.
It is likely that your resistor can not with stand line voltage for long periods of time. You might need to use two or more resistors in series.

When you connect to the power line look at the resistor voltage ratings.
It is likely that your resistor can not with stand line voltage for long periods of time. You might need to use two or more resistors in series.
Hi
yes i read in the note section where it said to have 2 or more resistors in series for safety cuz if one blows and becomes closed circuit then other one will protect the uC.

Although i did not find any suggestions on voltage rating. I think most resistors available in my location are most probably 350V. Is 1/4 watts resistor ok for this job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back