Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

detecting linear motion

Status
Not open for further replies.

raceeend

Hi,

I am currently designing the electronics for a large scale RC helicopter. This is more an electronics project than mechanical since i want the helicopter to be ultra easy to fly. That means it has to hover stationary regardless of wind or other altering conditions. This means the on board chips will have to compensate for all forms of motion.

I have already been able to compensate for spin, forward tilt and sideways tilt. This is simply done by using gyro's, an electronic compass(hall effect sensor) and accellerometers. (i use the accelerometers to determine "down")

The accelerometers however are not accurate enough to see small linear motion (up/down, left/right, etc) AKA drift. Does anyone have an idea how i could properly detect this linear motion?

I don't know of any way to detect linear motion in free space other than an accelerometer. That's what spacecraft and aircraft inertia guidance systems use.

How sensitive are the ones your are using? What is the part brand and number?

Do you do any zero compensation at startup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back