Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Detecting Life under rubble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wond3rboy

Hi i have a question which is how does microwave detection under rubble works.These are used when earthquakes occur.I know it works by transmission and reflection but couldnt get a decent article on google on what is actually being done with the received signal since i want to do something similiar using uc.

Google: ground penetrating radar GPR

Ken

I think they just look for voids, don't they? Could they be used to detect a beating heart or struggling life by looking for characteristic accelerations in otherwise unmoving rubble?

The most sophisticated device you can use for finding people under rubble is a dog =\

Some detect EM radiation from a beating heart.

One problem with these situations is that crushed muscle tissue puts toxins in the blood so you may eventually die from poisons your own body generated.

Last edited:
Definitly not EM from the heart, the signal has to be amplified just to be picked up from direct contact.

I think they just look for voids, don't they? Could they be used to detect a beating heart or struggling life by looking for characteristic accelerations in otherwise unmoving rubble?

Thats the thing i want to acheive.I did find artiles on the net saying that a beating heart changes the frequency of the Tx signal and that at the Rx side(eliminate any noise etc). It said that low frequency as well as High freq signals could be used.

Yes, seems like it must be Doppler-shift.

Low frequencies (like in the mhz region) are used in ground-penetrating radar because the higher frequencies reflect off the surface. This causes a loss of resolution, but there might be a way to interpret the phases of the recovered signal from an transmitter/receiver array to get useful 3D mappings.

You could use a color screen and put the Doppler-shifting parts in red or something to indicate movement. You could write a software filter that only detects periodic motion in a frequency range that corresponds to the range of human heartbeats.

Thanks Duffy.I was just searching for a suitable GPR to see whether i could take the Transmitter and Receiver from there and do the processing and found that it costs 113USD(the cheapest one!).Wow!. I will really have to think about what am i doing.

Last edited:
You found a GPR for $113? That's much less expensive than any I could find. Where did you see this?

Appararently i was mistaken since it was a book with the same name SORRY! :(.

Is there a way one can aquire the transmitting and receving part of a gpr? Manipulating the info will be my job(very tough?yes) and also will 18F PIc micros do for transmitting the signal to my laptop?I will process it using matlab.

Thanks for your reply.

A cheap one was like ten grand.

I think you have to build your own, Wond3rboy. Also, you are going to need 3nanosecond resolution on your counter just to get the distance to a meter.

They can't use dogs because they are Muslim. If dog spit touches the victim, and the victim dies, he will burn in hellfire and damnation for all eternity.

You probably think I'm making this up...

Part of Pakistan is already under Islamic law, using dogs is sure to be something the government frowns upon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back