Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Detecting 60hz AC Current?

Status
Not open for further replies.

haxor12

I'd like to build a handheld device which can detect a 60hz AC wire inside of a wall. Any advice/tips on how to do this would be much, much appreciated.

Thanks!

Go to Home Depot and lay about $10 on the counter. They sell a "stud finder" which includes the 60Hz detector...

Go to Home Depot and lay about $10 on the counter. They sell a "stud finder" which includes the 60Hz detector...

What? So expensive?

They're 1.5 EURO in Germany (US$2.00)!

What? So expensive?

They're 1.5 EURO in Germany (US$2.00)!

Yeah, I bought mine about 10 years ago while they were made in the USA. The one that they sell today is made in CHINA.

Thanks for the tips, I was most interested in learning to build one myself :)

Get a small audio transformer. Chisel off the bar on one side of the core to leave an open E.

Hook it to an ic amplifier (opamp or audio amp) with a gain of several hundred, gain optimized at 60 Hz.

Hook it to headphones and/or a meter-rectifier detector circuit.

There are many ways to skin a cat.
Modify a transformer as Mike suggests, or use a linear output Hall efect sensor.

You can also use a 4017 ic.
wire up to 9 volt battery

Leave input (14) open circuit,
Put 15 cm wire on it as areal.
connect one led to one of the outputs and loop o/p 10 to 1.
The led will flicker at 1/10 of the frequency.

I see if I can find schema for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back