Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

details of stepper motor used in floppy drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiteshDR

hello all,

i want to use the Stepp motor used in Floppy drive.
can any one please tell me how can i get detail about it.
i have tried to search on google but till i am not able to find.
let me give you motor details: i want to use the stepper motor used in read/write head. the number written on it is S15CA / 05JD.

If it's from a 5.25 inch drive it's probably a decent sized unipolar motor, you can easily find it's connections with a meter, and a battery. If it's from a 3.5 inch drive, these are usually really poor bipolar motors, and mechanically not very easy to use.

Well...

You need the details....

It is easy to use as i can feel....

First get the second hand motor for floppy drive from the Junk market.. it is vary cheap over there...

Hence, try to understand the cable pattern and drive by yourself...

i hope the last one wire is for the power...

Regards,

Simran..:)

Thanks For Reply...

hello all

thanks for replying..

but i want to know the stepper motor used for moving read/write head in floppy drive.
my stepper motor's number is : S15CA- 05JD.
i want to know the voltage, current & torque rating of its.
can any one help me please...??

Nigel Goodwin said:
You stil haven't mentioned the size of the drive?, this makes a HUGE difference, the number off it is probably meaningless.

hello Nigel Goodwin,

i am using stepper motor of 3 1/2" floppy drive.
this motor is used to move the r/w head of drive.
i dont have much more knowledge about motor so i am confuse how to tell you size. i think the size of motor of floppy drive may be around 10mm.
and only the name is written on motor that i have already written but still i am mentioning here.
S15CA-05JD
can you please tell me "these information is sufficient or i have to give more information about motor?"

thanks to you Nigel

3.5 inch floppies usually have bipolar steppers, and they are mechanically difficult to use - I would suggest you get a uni-polar one from a 5.25 inch floppy.

Nigel Goodwin said:
3.5 inch floppies usually have bipolar steppers, and they are mechanically difficult to use - I would suggest you get a uni-polar one from a 5.25 inch floppy.

Thanks Nigel for sugession.
but can you please tell me how can i get the details of unipolar motor from 5 1/4" floppry drive.

i mean to say i want to collect its electrical parameters for which i am trying constantly but hard to found.?:(

can you please tell me how can i get it??

HiteshDR said:
Thanks Nigel for sugession.
but can you please tell me how can i get the details of unipolar motor from 5 1/4" floppry drive.

i mean to say i want to collect its electrical parameters for which i am trying constantly but hard to found.?:(

can you please tell me how can i get it??

You probably can't?, but there's no reason to need them - it runs off 12V, and it's simple to check the connections with a meter and a battery.

What, in particular, are you hoping to find out about them?.

you are right Nigel

Nigel Goodwin said:
You probably can't?, but there's no reason to need them - it runs off 12V, and it's simple to check the connections with a meter and a battery.

What, in particular, are you hoping to find out about them?.

yes Nigel, you are right and i have try that also.
but i have to connect load with to this motor.
so,i need to know the max toqrue capacity of motor and for that i have to know max. output current and voltage capacity.
i think there is not much more vairation in voltage but current information is must.
so is it possible to get all these informations without help of specification sheet of motor.

You could try the book Easy Step'n by David Benson
**broken link removed**

Explains to the reader how to determine surplus motor electrical and mechanical specs by using easy-to-build electrical and mechanical test equipment. The experimenter will learn to design and build microcontroller based control systems and to design and build driver circuits to switch power applied to stepper motor windings. The book is hands-on and full of experiments. The format of the book uses flow charts and many code examples in a step-by-step approach.
This book gives example programs in assembly language only.
8-1/2 x 11", 200 pages

Well Sir...

HiteshDR said:
hello all

thanks for replying..

but i want to know the stepper motor used for moving read/write head in floppy drive.
my stepper motor's number is : S15CA- 05JD.
i want to know the voltage, current & torque rating of its.
can any one help me please...??

Hi,

Well Hitesh sir... I would like to know something...

1. what are the number of wires in that stepper motor...

2. what is the shape of its frame... square or circular...

3. number of wires... i hope five only...

4. Approximate size...

5. Company make... which is very important...

Tip: sir go to google images ... search for title 'stepper motor for floppy drive' ... the image that suits you... carry on that and refer comany's datasheet...:)

Regards,

Simran..

Is this ...

Is this the steppr motor...

**broken link removed**

If yes then... we continue the work with its manufacturer...

Regards,

Simran..

Or...

Or...

we can go to the nearby computer shop... and ask for the company which made this...

We can log onto that site and gather the information...

I hope it may work...

Regards,

Simran..

simrantogether said:
Hi,

Well Hitesh sir... I would like to know something...

1. what are the number of wires in that stepper motor...

2. what is the shape of its frame... square or circular...

3. number of wires... i hope five only...

4. Approximate size...

5. Company make... which is very important...

Tip: sir go to google images ... search for title 'stepper motor for floppy drive' ... the image that suits you... carry on that and refer comany's datasheet...:)

Regards,

Simran..

hi.. simran,

here is the reply for your ques.

1) there are four number of wires.

2) its circular.

3) size may be around 10-15mm(1-1.5cm).

4) comapny name is not written there is 'M' like maxim company and i had already tried to clarify it bt no success.

the number written on motor i have already metioned.
nothing else is written on it.
my floppy drive is 3.5 inch from sony company.

Last edited:
HiteshDR said:
hi.. simran madam,

2) its circular.

4) comapny name is not written there is 'M' like maxim company and i had already tried to clarify it bt no success.

Hi Hitesh,
Look at this site:
If its got 4 wires its a bipolar motor.

https://www.cs.uiowa.edu/~jones/step/types.html

Hi...

HiteshDR said:

2) its circular.

It is good if it has just four wires...

The number that you mentioned could have been batch number...

The link above given by sir ERIC is good....

and also see.. if this picture can help...

**broken link removed**

HiteshDR said:
yes Nigel, you are right and i have try that also.
but i have to connect load with to this motor.
so,i need to know the max toqrue capacity of motor and for that i have to know max. output current and voltage capacity.
i think there is not much more vairation in voltage but current information is must.
so is it possible to get all these informations without help of specification sheet of motor.

I would suggest you simply connect the motor up, and see how it performs - bear in mind to get maximum power you need to run it at considerably higher than it's design voltage, and limit the current.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back