Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

deta-wye configuration of resistors

Status
Not open for further replies.

PG1995

Hi :)

I was having a look on the "Example 2.15" which you can see in the following link: https://img23.imageshack.us/img23/5218/deltawye.jpg

1: I don't understand how "abn" form a delta configuration. For example, take the case of "can" configuration. We start at 'c' and traverse through 12.5Ω resistor toward 'a', and then from 'a' we traverse through 10Ω and 5Ω resistors and end up at 'c' where we started the traversing. It is a "can" delta configuration. But what is happening in case "abn" deta - which in my view is not a delta? Please help.

2: Now consider the statement which I have highlighted: Another approach would be to solve for the equivalent resistance by injecting one amp... Chap 4.

In Chap 4, which we haven't covered so far, the author introduces these topics: Linearity Property, Superposition, Source Transformation, Thevenin's Theorem, Norton's Theorem, Maximum Power Transfer.

Which of the above theory/topic the author would have used to solve the problem in "Example 2.15" instead of detal-wye appraoch? Please tell me.

Thank you for your help and time.

Well, here are two of your deltas:

**broken link removed**

The third one is the three resistors on the right. The wyes should be obvious, they're the only two points where three resistors join.

Well, here are two of your deltas:

**broken link removed**

The third one is the three resistors on the right. The wyes should be obvious, they're the only two points where three resistors join.

Hi carbonzit

Thanks a lot for the help. I understand what you are saying and this is what the author is also saying. But aren't there in total four points, instead of two points, where the resistors join? Please have a look the attached diagram. And please tell me why only two points are considered and not four. Thank you.

Best wishes
PG

Attachments

• deltas.JPG
    deltas.JPG
    10.2 KB · Views: 150
PG1995,

The crossover resistor from point c to n is 5 ohms. Substitute two 10 ohm resistors in parallel so that each resistor is part of a delta. Then convert each delta to a wye, and easily find the resistance.

Ratch

Last edited:
But aren't there in total four points, instead of two points, where the resistors join? Please have a look the attached diagram. And please tell me why only two points are considered and not four. Thank you.

Would someone please comment on my previous post? Thanks.

I understand what you are saying and this is what the author is also saying. But aren't there in total four points, instead of two points, where the resistors join? Please have a look the attached diagram. And please tell me why only two points are considered and not four. Thank you.

My only answer is, I don't know.

You're correct: there are four places where 3 resistors join (all connections marked by dots in my diagrams), so I don't know why your author says there are only two. I guess there are four wyes in this configuration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back