Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

desk counter

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicvigni

hi, i want to build a counter that is desk mounted. it needs to be able to count to 999 from single inputs by hand(finger) it also needs to be re-setable, and have a memory for several days at atime. a lcd readout would be nice! i know a small amount about what is involved, but amat a lost with which chips, etc.to use. please help!:
thanks for the info, but i'm a bus driver and don't have access to any programing things, nor do i know where to buy the bits required

Last edited:
Expanding on Nigel's suggestion, a PIC 16F84 or similar (newer for better power performance) chip, with an LMxxx LCD character display, a couple of push button switches and a five volt power supply may be your cheapest solution. If you plan on using batteries, I'd use 4 cells and drop the voltage back to 5v still with a regulator (LDO type) or even better use a boost converter to produce 5v from anything down to about 2v input supply. The LCD's can get a little temperamental at lower voltages than about 4.5V.

Also, take care with your software if you want several days performance from batteries - use the power saving facilities of the PIC chip such as sleep mode etc. and even blank the LCD if the buttons aren't pressed for a while - you then have potential for something that could work for weeks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back