Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Designing sound reactive lighting, on a bigger scale

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcfor3ver

Hi I want to build sound reactive lighting for my band Ashes of Existence which would be used for our live show. I am an EE student at WWU (just in case you think I don't know about electronics)
I've researched a lot of good projects, but they are all on a small scale. I would like to build sound reactive lighting that would essentially 'flood' the stage with lights to our music. Our frequencies are very low end (drop A 7 string guitars for your musicians) but we do have high end melodic parts.
What I am getting at is, how would I build such a project?
I will contribute any knowledge I have to answers on my post.
What I am looking for is a design similar to these two youtube videos but on a much larger scale:
and

The first video offers a really cool lighting contrast with the flood light like led's on the left side and colored lights on the right side. But the second video goes in-depth about how to wire 3 different groups of led lights to music.
Help and discussion greatly appreciated!

Welcome to the forum.
Google 'color organ schematic' and you should find something to get you started. 'Bigger scale' would use the same or similar principles but involve more / more powerful lights and driver circuits.

Hi

One thing to consider... Most of these "color organs" assume the input would be the full audio frequency range, so they include filters to separate it into different frequency bands (for example, low, mid, and high). The output of filter is then used to drive a different set of colored lights. However, if each band member's audio channel drives a dedicated lighting unit, then the circuit really doesn't need the filtering. You might be able to save some cost there.

eT

LEDs light instantly. Old fashioned incandescent "floods" light up slowly then turn off very slowly and will look very different. Use modern LED "floods" instead but their light seems to be very directional.

Last edited:
Just use a DMX controller and either some LED par cans or a dimmer rack with non-led par cans.
I've seen MIDI to DMX controllers which would do the sound to light control for you, alternatively build your own with an arduino and the Tinker Kit DMX shield.

You can get cheep RGB LED par cans for £50 each off ebay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back