Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Designing Guitar Distortion Pedal - HELP NEEDED!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlie J

DISTORTION PEDAL DESIGN, got some questions...

I am designing a guitar distortion pedal. It is my aim to produce (harsh) symmetrical and asymmetrical clipping, with enough gain to also produce near-square output waveforms. I'm trying to keep it as simple as I can. I just want to get it to 'work' without risk of damaging a guitar amplifier first, then I'll worry about improving the sound from there.

This is the design so far...
DISTORTION PEDAL1..JPG

*The following is what i 'think' the circuit is doing but correct me if I'm wrong*

The plan is to use a 741 opamp (non-inverting) to amplify the input signal. There is a pot to control the gain (2-52?) of the opamp. A 9V battery is being used to power the opamp and provide a voltage divider (ref voltage?) at opamp input... I understand the max output (amplitude) of the opamp will be limited, hence once the opamp output exceeds this, the signal will be clipped evenly top and bottom. A second pot is at the output end of the circuit to allow volume control. There are capacitors at either end of the circuit (coupling). And there is a switch that can incorperate a diode into the circuit, which would produce asymmetrical clipping.

I built the circuit on MULTISIM using a signal generator as my (guitar) input signal to the circuit and used an oscilloscope to veiw the output waveform. The only adjustment I made from the above circuit is I replaced the 1k resister below the gain pot for a 500, to allow a larger gain soes to amplify smaller inputs enough to ensure they clip. The signal appears to process as I had hoped (clipping at approx +/- 3.6V and at -0.6V with diode) and the volueme pot seems to work, but will this circuit work in the context of a guitar distortion pedal?

*Are there any obvious faults with this design?...*

My main concern is impedance matching...I read somewhere that the input/output of a distortion pedal is high impedance (which the opamp can take, right?, but the output impedance is low?) I'm not sure if/how to match it at the output. What is the result of not or incorrectly matching the impedences? Also, not 100% sure if my capacitor (and resistor) values are viable for this circuit...

ANY AND ALL ADVICE WELCOME!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back