Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Designing Electronics that can be sterilised in an Autoclave

Status
Not open for further replies.

riccardo

Has anyone any experience designing an item that could withstand the sterilisation process of an Autoclave?

Basically it is a pressure cooker so there will be heat, steam, and pressure.

I suppose PCBs could be encapsulated, but what about things like an LCD or OLED? Are there any that can handle 150C?

Any info on this subject would be appreciated.

Look up the data sheet on each part. (each type) Example: many ICs have a storage temperature of 150C max. You may have problems with large capacitors.
Low cost PCBs may fall apart with the steam. There are flex PCBs that might do better with steam. Don't use the lowest cost PCBs.
I think you will have a day or two of looking at data sheets.

Does it have to be an autoclave? I've got a germicidal UV tube which when turned on produces a lot of ozone. Does anyone know how well electronics puts up with ozone?

Mike.

Does it have to be an autoclave? I've got a germicidal UV tube which when turned on produces a lot of ozone. Does anyone know how well electronics puts up with ozone?

Mike.

Ozone turns tin metal and any organo-tin compound into nice white tin oxide.

if the board is small enough, you could make a potted module (plastic case, the board immersed in a filler such as non-corrosive RTV, and the module is sealed with a thick layer of epoxy. such modules are very resistant to harsh environments. another option is to conformal coat the board, but there's a lot of convoluted surface area where bacteria, etc... could hide.
another way to disinfect electronics, that's not going to cause corrosion or thermally stress the components would be immersion in 99% alcohol. the only thing to avoid would be soaking anything using heat sink grease, or RF boards with coils held in place with beeswax.

Ozone turns tin metal and any organo-tin compound into nice white tin oxide.

i used to make ozone generators (the high voltage kind). it takes a while of constant exposure to begin visibly oxidizing tinned wire. my corona wires were tinned stranded wire with the strands fanned out. if the only exposure is a few minutes under a UV lamp once in a while, it won't do much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back