Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Designing an SMPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lord loh.

I am planing to design an SMPS using μA 7840 IC.

I have a schamatic from a textbook (Op-Amp and Linear IC - Gaiakwad).

What I understand is that SMPS have an advantage of small size. But the datasheet shows that the SMPS IC requires a DC bias. Where do I get this DB bias from? A simple rectifier or a linear regulator.
Should I have to use a linear regulator, There shall remain no purpose of using an SMPS IC.

How exactly is the SMPS to be designed?

ur datasheet not attached..

ok after going thru the manual of the chip , i think that the 'bias' ur refering is the power supply (Vin) to the IC itself.. and that can be unregulated..many sample ckts are given in the manual itself,and that is self explanatory

lord loh. said:
I am planing to design an SMPS using μA 7840 IC.

I have a schamatic from a textbook (Op-Amp and Linear IC - Gaiakwad).

What I understand is that SMPS have an advantage of small size. But the datasheet shows that the SMPS IC requires a DC bias. Where do I get this DB bias from? A simple rectifier or a linear regulator.
Should I have to use a linear regulator, There shall remain no purpose of using an SMPS IC.

How exactly is the SMPS to be designed?

This part is a switching _regulator_ meaning it efficiently converts the input voltage & regulates it with a switchmode design. The switching tran is built into the device so you have to observe the maximum load current this part can switch. You dont need to supply a regulated DC to this part, so you wont need a linear regulator. IMO, just rectify & smooth the AC with a capacitor.

I was told on edaboard that 78S40 is an obsolete device.

I was suggested LM2575, LM2576 and L4978

Hoever I have ordered it... So what can I do about it? Will using this device help me gain some useful bit of knowledge in SMPS design?

My key fascination about SMPS is it's size and DC / DC conversion capability(especially step up) and high efficiency. These are all the features I would like to get hands on experience in designing. How can I proceed?

after viewing the 2576 datasheet i find that the compenent count of this ckt is lower than with the other..

if u have ordered the prev one.. go for it..at least .u may need more debugging (which means more knowledge) and u have more scope of adjusting the components and see the o/p

lord loh. said:
I was told on edaboard that 78S40 is an obsolete device.

I was suggested LM2575, LM2576 and L4978

Hoever I have ordered it... So what can I do about it? Will using this device help me gain some useful bit of knowledge in SMPS design?

My key fascination about SMPS is it's size and DC / DC conversion capability(especially step up) and high efficiency. These are all the features I would like to get hands on experience in designing. How can I proceed?

IMO, the best way to get first hand experience with SMPS design is to do one yourself. This does not include using pre-packaged switching regulators. I'm talking discrete parts including your own PWM driver if you desire. At the very least, you will have a new appreciation for what the vendors accomplish with these highly integrated DC/DC modules.

SMPS IC's supply

I think you are looking for the DC bias supply required for the uA7840 or any DC to DC.
In SMPS u usually have Auxillary winding of your Flyback converter which gives the required supply to the IC.
If you want the Transformer designto be simple use NCP1200 from On semi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back