Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Designing a touch sensor using 555 timer IC

Status
Not open for further replies.

thecritic

I am trying to design a touch sensor using 555 timer IC.
What I did was--
I used the 555 IC in its popular Monostable mode, and I attached a small copper touch plate to its trigger pin 2.
What happened is that my device worked fine at first. (It would be triggered by finger and also by any metal objects.). So I set the power on for overnight to record if it would make any false trigger. But when I returned on the morning, the curcuit was already rendered insensitive. It wouldn't be triggered by hand. It would be only triggered if I supplied ground to pin 2.

So, what I want to know is that, is it that my IC was damaged or that the circuit I used was unrelaiable.

tie a 10 to 100kΩ betwen trigger input (pin2) and VDD. Add a small cap 10 to 100nF parallel with the resistor.

Boncuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back