Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Designing a supercapacitor circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

magicasd

hi, i'm given a project assignment of building a supercapacitor which can store roughly 700V to 1000V.
Now i'm designing a circuit (discharging) which can help me light up a few LEDs using Voltage charge stored in the
supercapacitor. The purpose of the circuit is to show that the supercapacitor can Light up the LEDS for a certain period of
time.. I would like to know how to design a circuit which can control the rate of discharge of the supercapacitor.
what are the components required to step down and control the high voltage in order not to destroy the LEDs...

Have you looked at the voltage ratings of common supercapacitors?

Capacitors store energy in joules, and are rated in volts. How much energy do you need to store?

The cheapest super cap is 0.22F and 5v. It costs less than 50 cents. It will keep a LED illuminated for a few minutes via a resistor.

supercap

Capacitors store energy in joules, and are rated in volts. How much energy do you need to store?

well, by the formula given to us C= Q/V
our C = 24uF
Q = Unkown
V = 700 or 1000V

so by our calculations , the charge will be 0.0168 or 0.024

And we are GIven this supercapacitor to run a circuit so a certain period of time. so i dont really wish to use batts or anything. I jus wanna know how to step down the high voltage and light the LEDs for a period of time. i need suggestions. e.g stepdown transformers , regulatars

The formula for stored energy is as follows:

E = ½CV²

C = capacitance in Farads.
V = voltage.
E = energy in Joules.

The formula is the same for inductors, except capacitance and voltage are replaced with inductance and current respectively.

Last edited:
well, by the formula given to us C= Q/V
our C = 24uF
Q = Unkown
V = 700 or 1000V

so by our calculations , the charge will be 0.0168 or 0.024

And we are GIven this supercapacitor to run a circuit so a certain period of time. so i dont really wish to use batts or anything. I jus wanna know how to step down the high voltage and light the LEDs for a period of time. i need suggestions. e.g stepdown transformers , regulatars

As already mentioned, supercapacitors are VERY low voltage, your entire premise is wrong.

24uF is also nothing like a 'super capacitor', which are measured in farads, not microfarads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back