Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Designing a 10x40 LED display

Status
Not open for further replies.

micr0man

Hello everyone,

I am designing an LED matrix which will be a 10 row 40 column display. The 10 row is a preference

The 400 5mm red LED's were brought in bulk in a sale and no datasheet was given so I am guessing a forward voltage of 2 volts and I would like to run them at 15ma.

For the display i shall be running a row scan so will use some high power N channel MOSFET's. for the columns i shall be using some shift registers powering some PNP transistor arrays.

I am in the design process thinking about how i will do things so i have not thought about specific part numbers but the micro controller i will use will be either the PIC18F4620 or the PIC18F4220

My question is this,

How is the series resistor's ohmage and wattage calculated for each column. I understand that the LED will only be lit 1/10 of the time so I can increase the current but is it by 10 times.

I have also been told that using a constant current source would be better to be used because otherwise i may get unevenness it the brightness of the LED's. Is this true and would it have much of a benefit. I can see it being much more expensive considering i am keeping a very low budget

Thank you very much for reading,

David

Here is a link of a project that has more LEDs but the idea of driving them would be the same
**broken link removed**
The coffee table Pong Game is perhaps the biggest example.
Basically they all use a ULN2803 to drive the rows/colums

hi David,
For the display i shall be running a row scan so will use some high power N channel MOSFET's. for the columns i shall be using some shift registers powering some PNP transistor arrays.
Is the Row scan the high drive to the Rows, with Shift Reg/npn transistors sinking the Columns.?

Hi David,
From our Chat, is this what you have in mind.

Attachments

• AAesp01.gif
    AAesp01.gif
    14.7 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
What is the duty cycle at any given LED? 15mA with a duty cycle of 1/40 or even 1/10 using no-name, discount LEDs will not likely be very bright.

I'm thinking you will need ultra-bright LEDs rated to be driven at 50 to 60mA to get daylight visibility.

You don't have to guess about Vforward. Hook an LED to a reasonable resistor and measure the voltage drop across the LED leads.

The resistor sets/limits the current but the voltage drop for the LED will stay very nearly the same.

Thank you for all your replies:

@MrDEb, Thank you for the link. I shall have a look at it now

@ericgibbs, I was originally thinking of the row MOSFET's sinking the current but it does not matter at all. i suppose it may be better because devices such as the ULN2003 can allow increased current loads while they are cheap

@MikeMI it is a 1/10 current. I do not mind about the reduced brightness as it is for indoor's. I have not yet received the LED's so I am waiting for my delivery to come but i have been told 'the LED's have a slightly muddy colour'

@3v0 As i said in the above reply i have not yet received the LED's so am unable to test them. One thing i am worried about is it will be created in different batches causing lots of variation in brightness etc

Again thank you for all the replies,

David

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back