Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Design Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

I came a cross a design problem which I need your suggestions in it.

I have 3 power sources, Main Supply which is 9-32DC, a battery pack 12VDC, and PoE Module, all are connecte to tripel output 12, 3.3, 5VDC voltage regurlators, and finally a microcontroller.

I would like to detect a power failure on the three of them, and also use one of them on power failure.

I thought about first the user must use the Main Supply first, then the uC use its ADC to check for the voltage on the battery pack, use a voltage divider to lower the voltage then measure the value and check if its lower than a value, however this method is also I want to use it for charging the batteries it self!.
The same scenario I will do with the main supply and the PoE, but the problem with the resistors that they must have high power, the current that can be drawn I assume its more than 9A. I'm also not sure which VRef should I feed the microcontroller with, it's very problematic issue too.
Do you guys havae an opinion or suggestion for better design ?

You could use steering-diodes such that the highest available voltage among the 3 power sources is selected to power a source-monitoring circuit which then takes any necessary load-switching action.
An SMPS might be preferable to voltage-dropping resistors.

Thanks for your reply.
Would you please show me a simple schematic :) ?
I also didn't get how an SMPS would help while measuring the voltage using the ADC ? it will always give a constant voltage ?

Is this what you mean by the steering diodes ?

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    7 KB · Views: 231
I also didn't get how an SMPS would help while measuring the voltage
I wasn't suggesting the SMPS was for measuring. The SMPS could provide the regulated voltages instead of using dropper resistors (which I inferred you were using because you said "but the problem with the resistors that they must have high power").
Is this what you mean by the steering diodes ?
Yes.
Here's what I drew:
SupplyMonitoring.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back