Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Design Idea for six-zone four-wire signal switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

whunter31

Would anyone have a suggestion for the design/construction of a four-wire signal switch (IR signal, RS-485+ signal, RS-485- signal and Ground) that can physically connect and send these existing signals to any one of six independent zones. Each zone has the same four-wires that can recieve the signals. My hope is to control which zones are sent the signals through the use of C or C# code.

I have looked into the possibility of completing with using relays, but the cost is prohibitive and I would think there are more elegant ways to complete.

Last edited:
do your PC have serial /parallel port

I am attempting to add PC control to a six zone household stereo system. Each zone has either a touchscreen or keypad which are hardwired to the system's controller with a RS-485+/-, IR and ground signal wires. I have created an application that mimics the codes necessary to control the system; however some arrangement needs to be implimented to direct which zone the signals are forwarded to.

how you wanna control it? make it clear

The system is an existing six-zone home home stereo system, controlled by two three-zone Preamp/Controllers, for a total of six-zones. Each zone has either a keypad or touchpad which is homewired to the preamp/controller. The preamp/controller has an RJ45 input jack where each zone is connected to, with the corresponding pin assignments:

pin 1 - Zone One IR;
pin 2 - Zone Two IR;
pin 3 - Zone Three IR;
Pin 4 - RS485+;
Pin 5 - RS485-;
Pin 6 +12 VDC;
Pin 7 - Ground;
Pin 8 - Page Control.

My desire is to control each/all of zones within the household stereo system through a C# program I've started. I believe I can mimic the appropriate control codes which I would like to send to the preamp/controller to control a zone; however I don't think there is a way to programatically designate the selected zone except by physically switching the output to the appropriate zone input wiring.

My hope was to design/create a six zone circuit with the C# application directing the circuit as to which zone to connect and forward the codes. Each zone would have three wires (RS485+, RS485- and IR) with a common ground (total of 18 zones). It appears that the RS485 input on the preamp/controller is not zone specific, and I wonder if that may mean that each zone may not need their own switching for the RS485. I admit that I don't know enough about your RS485 question blueroomelectronics to be able to adequately answer, and apolgize accordingly.

I hope that my question is clearer now. Please let me know if there is anything that I may have left out and I will attempt to answer.

Thanks,
Bill

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back