Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Design help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrej33

Brand new to your forum. Need help with a project. I am a musician and I am building a new rack for my synth gear. I need to save space and weight, so I would like to limit the transformers in my rack. I was thinking of having one 12 volt DC transformer power the top 4 and have a strip with + and - feeds on them and go to each device with the appropriate resistor and or voltage regulator on the feeds to step down the voltage. Am I thinking correctly? This is what I have in the rack:

Yamaha VL-70 Center Polarity + 12V DC 700 mA
Senheiser mic Center Polarity + 12V DC 300 mA
Roland JV-1010 Center Polarity - 9V DC 1000 mA
WIDI wireless Center Polarity + 5V DC Doesn’t say how many mA, but it also runs on 2 AA Batteries.

Alesis Nano Verb 5VA AC Obviously will need it's own transformer.

Would appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks!
Andre

Last edited:
Roland JV-1010 Center - 9V DC 1000 mA

That uses negative 9 volts?

Ron

Hi Ron,
No, the polarity of the device has negative at the center vs positive on all the other DC devices.

Last edited:
OK, I see what you are saying. You have a collection of wall warts (small transformers providing mostly DC voltages) to your devices. You would like to eliminate all the little units and have a single power supply deliver power to as many devices as possible.

You could build a single supply that could do that but it would take a small amount of doing and some parts. Most of the parts could be easily had if that is what you have in mind.

Ron

OK, I see what you are saying. You have a collection of wall warts (small transformers providing mostly DC voltages) to your devices. You would like to eliminate all the little units and have a single power supply deliver power to as many devices as possible.

You could build a single supply that could do that but it would take a small amount of doing and some parts. Most of the parts could be easily had if that is what you have in mind.

Ron

Hi ron,
Yes that is what I would like to do. I was thinking of having one 12 volt transformer power the top 4 and have a strip with + and - feeds on them and go to each device with the appropriate resistor and or voltage regulator on the feeds to step down the voltage. Am I thinking correctly?

Last edited:
Hi ron,
Yes that is what I would like to do. I was thinking of having one 12 volt transformer power the top 4 and have a strip with + and - feeds on them and go to each device with the appropriate resistor and or voltage regulator on the feeds to step down the voltage. Am I thinking correctly?

Actually you have a few options and the first and simple route may be to go and buy a reasonable priced home computer power supply. With a few simple hacks easily done that will give you all the 12 volt and 5 volt power you will ever need. A cheap PSU (Power Supply Unit) can be had for about $29 USD. Minor problem with the 9 volts but not a big one. You need a LM7809 which is a 9 volt regulator from an electronic supply source. You run the 7809 off the 12 volts and you will have the 9 volts you need. A few .1 uF capacitors and maybe a 250 uF 25 volt cap and that would be about it. Rough guess about $40 USD and you are there.

Option 2 would be to build a power supply which would be more difficult and cost more.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back