Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Design an auto switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bongodrummer

Hi Guys, I am quite new at this stuff and would really appreciate any views people might have on this design I have been thinking about for an auto switch.
The auto switch itself is used to aromatically turn on (and off) my dust extractor when I use any hand power tools, which will be plugged into the auto switch.

I know that most of these kinds of things use power transformers, but I wondered if one that uses a reed switch, activated by a coil which is magnetised when the power tool is turned on might also work? Does this seem workable (drawing attached)?

**broken link removed**

Thanks,
Bongo
www.floweringelbow.co.uk

Given a choice I would likely start with something like this. They are self powered and passing a few turns of your hot mains power going to your power tools would have them come on at a pretty low power tool draw. The units driving an Amber LED likely have a few volts out to the LED when the min current flows through the mains power. Those units happen to be CR Magnetica but I am sure there are other distributors out there of the same or similar current sensors. They cost a few USD as I recall. So pretty cheap starter.

Maybe use the LED out to just drive an SSR module (solid state relay) for your dust collector and just place a switch across the SCR so you have manual or auto operation.

A SSR similar to something like these would work for you. Depending on how much current the dust collector draws. A zero crossover 10 Amp with a 3 to 32 volt control voltage should work for you.

<EDIT> You may also want to give this thread a read. It was started later today. </EDIT>

Ron

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back