Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Design a terminal window.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

koolguy

HI,

After progress in serial communication i want to try to make a window on computer for interfacing uC PIC16f877 to light led by pressing switch..
so, i want your suggestion that visual basic or processing which one to used as i have learned little bit processing software no idea how to interfacing extra tings in it...

thanks

BEFORE WE START!!! Do you know any windows programming languages... C#, VB, Delphi or C++ ????

I know C++ learned in college..any way i have used processing software created small windows shapes but no serial communication with it!

You will have to learn C# or VB6 ( You might not get hold of this now, you'll have to use VB 2012 express )

Your first step is to download visual studio express and get familiar with it.

I will not be showing you how to use the interface.... I will not have time to do this... Suffice to say there is more examples on the net than you'll ever need.

The pattern is always the same. You answer a ridiculous question and it's followed by another ridiculous question, ad nauseam.

Although, going by his signature, he seems to be making progress but alas, a big step backward. He mastered PWM on a pic over a year ago but had forgotten it again by this April!!!! Weird huh.

Ian, you have the patience of a saint.

Edit, Don't click on RITESH's work page as it messed up Eric's computer.

Mike.

Last edited:
Although, going by his signature, he seems to be making progress but alas, a big step backward. He mastered PWM on a pic over a year ago but had forgotten it again by this April!!!! Weird huh.

That's because he didn't learn it at all, he only took other peoples' code and presented it as his own.

That's because he didn't learn it at all, he only took other peoples' code and presented it as his own.

yes i have done that b'coz i was not so much aware of uC.....and believe me i am trying to learning...

yes i have done that b'coz i was not so much aware of uC.....and believe me i am trying to learning...

You may want to learn, but you certainly are not taking the steps to actually try to learn.

You are not doing anything on your own. You do not practice by writing your own code. You do not read the datasheets to find proper registers/settings. You continuously copy and paste other peoples' work instead of writing it out yourself. You insist on asking us every single question you have rather than trying to find the answer yourself first. Most of your questions can be answered with a very quick google search or a brief glance at the datasheet, but you refuse to do either. Lastly, and probably most importantly, you are not learning the basics. You should know by now the difference between "int" and "char". You should know how to initialize variables and set the registers to the proper settings. But instead you try doing more complex things without any knowledge of the basic principles that make it work.

I really don't want this to get into mud flinging contest.... I also don't want to close the thread... Lets keep it on topic...

Sorry Ian. As usual, I'm not trying to be rude or insulting, just trying to help the OP learn how to learn in the long run.

Sorry Ian. As usual, I'm not trying to be rude or insulting, just trying to help the OP learn how to learn in the long run.

But now because of it, we have lost the gist of the thread...

But now because of it, we have lost the gist of the thread...

I thought the thread should have ended when you told him to learn VB. I think Derstom8 is spot on and it's time the OP started using google and data sheets.

Mike.

I thought the thread should have ended when you told him to learn VB.

Ritesh said that he knows "processing", so I actually read some of the specs of that "language" and it seems like it is possible to do rs232 communication with it..

i have used processing software created small windows shapes but no serial communication with it!
https://processing.org/reference/libraries/serial/

This library has the flexibility to communicate with custom microcontroller devices and to use them as the input or output to Processing programs.

Last edited:
hi,

i am trying to learn the processing serial..
https://processing.org/reference/libraries/serial/Serial.html

Constructor

Serial(parent)
Serial(parent, irate)
Serial(parent, iname, irate)
Serial(parent, iname)
Serial(parent, iname, irate, iparity, idatabits, istopbits)

Parameters
parent PApplet: typically use "this"
irate int: 9600 is the default
iname String: name of the port (COM1 is the default)
iparity char: 'N' for none, 'E' for even, 'O' for odd ('N' is the default)
idatabits int: 8 is the default
istopbits float: 1.0, 1.5, or 2.0 (1.0 is the default)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back