Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Design a circuit for a latch using NAND Gates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaden

Hello. I'm having trouble with part of this problem I'm working on.

Part of it wants me to "Derive a circuit for the AB latch that has four 2-input NAND gates and 2 inverters". This is where I'm stuck at I have no idea how to do this.

I also wanted to know if I got this right. In the first part it asked for us to make a state table and equation for AB as follows:

A and B = 0, Q = 0
A or B = 1, Q is unchanged
A and B = 1, Q = 1

A B Q+
0 0 0
0 1 Q
1 0 Q
1 1 1

Q+ = BQ + AQ + AB

Last edited:
Hello. I'm having trouble with part of this problem I'm working on.

Part of it wants me to "Derive a circuit for the AB latch that has four 2-input NAND gates and 2 inverters". This is where I'm stuck at I have no idea how to do this.

I also wanted to know if I got this right. In the first part it asked for us to make a state table and equation for AB as follows:

A and B = 0, Q = 0
A or B = 1, Q is unchanged
A and B = 1, Q = 1

A B Q+
0 0 0
0 1 Q
1 0 Q
1 1 1

Q+ = BQ + AQ + AB

hi,
The Table is incorrect for a NAND gate.
I would suggest you write out the Truth table for an AND gate first , then negate [invert] the output state values of the table to give the NAND gate.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Please reconsider the problem. He is to use NAND, that is Not AND rather than AND Not gates. In spite of common usage they are not the same, especially in class.

Yes, sorry about that, post edited, please delete the link from your quote.

That's pretty easy to fix but I'm not going to post the answer for obvious reasons.

Since the answer provided is based on the AND NOT gate, he hasn’t been given the correct answer.

hi gary,:)
We dont normally give the answer to homework questions only hints or suggestions.

I did not provide an answer, just pointed out the sloppy language. While I don’t believe in giving straight homework answers, I don’t believe in trick questions or leading students astray which I think was starting to happen.

Hi,

I assume we are taking NAND to mean the typical logic gate, so that would be c=NOT(AND(a,b)). In other words, an AND gate with the output inverted, not an AND gate with the inputs inverted.

Last edited:
Hi,

I assume we are taking NAND to mean the typical logic gate, so that would be c=NOT(AND(a,b)). In other words, an AND gate with the output inverted, not an AND gate with the inputs inverted.

hi Al,
Thats also the way I understand it.:)

Gary B
I did not provide an answer, just pointed out the sloppy language. While I don’t believe in giving straight homework answers, I don’t believe in trick questions or leading students astray which I think was starting to happen.

I've been called many things but never sloppy.!

It was not my intention to call you anything let alone “sloppy.” I am merely attempting to point out that a Not AND gate is the equivalent of OR Not gate and Not Or gate is the equivalent of And Not gate. Since common usage of NAND is an AND Not gate, I just wanted to make sure that the question asked is the one that was intended.

A B Q+
0 0 0=to get that state u can use a NAND gate and then connect the output to an inverter,at 00 NAND gate output is 1 ,inverter will invert it to 0

0 1 Q= simply use the NAND gate
1 0 Q= use NAND gate
1 1 1=use NAND gate and an inverter, at 11 NAND gate output is 0 so inverter will invert it to 1.
ALL THE BEST FOR UR CKT IMPLEMENTATION

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back