Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Denon receiver is fried

Status
Not open for further replies.

A3 Headhunter

Need help my reicever is broken I made the stupid decision of wiring speakers while it was turned on and the receiver sparked and let a puff of smoke out i know it is fixable anyone know how?

Need help my reicever is broken I made the stupid decision of wiring speakers while it was turned on and the receiver sparked and let a puff of smoke out i know it is fixable anyone know how?

You can try some of this. When it escapes that's usually a bad sign. How can anyone know whats wrong? A WAG is you smoked a output circuit, does it still power up?
**broken link removed**

As I stated in your other thread, send it in for repair.

**broken link removed**

Yes It starts up and everything looks great and then it shuts off flashing read light

My old Denon receiver has a time-delay relay for the power amp circuit so something there has a major short. I feel your pain. It's a quality product, so send it in for repair.

I'm not sure if They will accept it i have pulled a couple of screws and you know how they are Ohhh you touched the inside we can't touch it but maybe i can find someone other than denon to replace it one guy said he will take 60$ just to look at it. I know this isn't no magic smoke problem w/e burnt I am sure i can get a new component and place it in even if it is the whole mainboard I have heard it is voltage regulators heat sinks and oscillator

I'm not sure if They will accept it i have pulled a couple of screws and you know how they are Ohhh you touched the inside we can't touch it but maybe i can find someone other than denon to replace it one guy said he will take 60$ just to look at it. I know this isn't no magic smoke problem w/e burnt I am sure i can get a new component and place it in even if it is the whole mainboard I have heard it is voltage regulators heat sinks and oscillator

That only matters for warranty issues. Your best bet is the guys who fix that brand for a living.

That only matters for warranty issues. Your best bet is the guys who fix that brand for a living.

i'm a Denon certified tech, is the unit under warranty or not?

there are no rail fuses in most of these receivers. the flashing red LED indicates an error condition. if the ere is an error condition, the main poswer supply will only come on long enough for the CPU to detect it and shut back off.. if he "let the smoke out" the output transistors are shorted. the CPU has DC offset and overcurrent detect inputs. with blown output transistors one or both of these inputs are being triggered.

what model is the receiver?

Last edited:
It is a Denon AVR 2106 and it is not under warranty anymore. It is about 3 1/2 years old. The only problem is is that I don't wanna start working on it then I don't have the right problem and no one else wants to look at it. I am willing to look at all of the possibilities of the problem. I just don't like when I get someone who has the same amount of knowledge as me which is very little telling me how to fix it. Hopefully someone in here has a idea. I am a new member to this sight so i might have to remake another post it will be Denon 2106 #2

Last edited:
ok, the first thing i do when i have one of these on the bench is to find out which channel is blown. the collectors of all the output devices are tied to the positive or negative rail. this means you can quickly find the shorted output devices by clipping one lead of an ohmmeter in diode check (my meter has a beeper for shorts in that mode) to a collector (Denon receivers use 2SB/2SD pairs) of one of the output devices and going down the rows of transistors with the other lead and looking for shorts between any emitter pins and the rail you're on. if you're clipped to an NPN collector (D2390 center pin) , you're checking from the positive rail, if you're clipped to a PNP (B1560 center pin), you're checking from the negative rail. the pinout of all of these transistors is BCE, so all of the third pins are emitters. so, you connect one lead to any center pin of a D2390, and use the other lead to check continuity to all of the D2390 emitters, then clip to the center pin of a B1560 and use the meter to check continuity to all of the B1560 emitters. you will most likely find a pair of D2390/B1560 transistors shorted, this is the blown channel. on occasion all that's blown are the two transistors and their emitter resistors (should be (4) 0.22 ohm/ 1/2 watt resistors). unfortunately with Denon amps, the damage may go back further. there's a string of bias limiting diodes (2 zeners and 2 regular diodes) and the bias transistor. then there is the "preamp" board or section which consists of a differential pair and a voltage amplifier. there's rarely a problem with these, but i have seen it happen... you will want to check any flameproof resistors in the blown channel since they can burn open with little or no visual indication that they burned.
also be aware that there's a protection trigger transistor and sometimes this shorts as well, so you could get the amp itself repaired correctly and still get an error condition.

also be aware Denon receivers can be built like a 3D puzzle, and difficult to troubleshoot if not taken apart. and very difficult to get back together if you don't pay close attention to where all of the PC boards and cables plug in. there is an "en-bloc" (one piece) way of getting it apart, but that takes a bit of experience to do...

Last edited:
Oh my god I have no clue about anything you have said i will see if i can get my friend to read this and understand it. I appreciate the time you have put in to helping thank you very much i will let you know if he can do it. Do you check this forum regular? I dont know if this makes a difference or not but what happened was is that when i was hooking up the speakers i did it when the receiver was turned on and the black and red wire touched and sparked at the end and smoked in the receiver. Just a little more info. And a dumb question how do i test it? when it is plugged into the wall? with red light?

Last edited:
the tests i described are UNPLUGGED from the wall, no power

Oh my god I have no clue about anything you have said i will see if i can get my friend to read this and understand it. I appreciate the time you have put in to helping thank you very much i will let you know if he can do it. Do you check this forum regular? I dont know if this makes a difference or not but what happened was is that when i was hooking up the speakers i did it when the receiver was turned on and the black and red wire touched and sparked at the end and smoked in the receiver. Just a little more info. And a dumb question how do i test it? when it is plugged into the wall? with red light?

Which is why I suggested you take the unit to a authorized service center. Aside from checking for a blown fuse you do not have the qualifications to service the thing and will most likely do more harm than good.

i can't tell from his profile where he's from, so i can't recommend a place for him to take it to....

Looks like you have 2 choices.

AUDIO WIZARD
8120 E. MCDOWELL ROAD
SUITE 2
SCOTTSDALE, AZ 85257 USA
(480) 946-7164 About 17 miles View Map
Center Web Site
AVAILABLE SERVICES: **broken link removed**

DYNA-TRONICS
1610 E. MARYLAND AVENUE
PHOENIX, AZ 85016 USA
(602) 279-4176 About 24 miles View Map
**broken link removed** AVAILABLE SERVICES: **broken link removed**

I would suggest the unit is worth getting repaired. Denon's are good sets.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah i hope they can hopefully they won't charge me what i bought it for and won't even fix the thing I know some recievers are pretty easy to work on but the Denon might be a new thing for em Thank you

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back