Denon AVR-1612: Protection Mode (Sort of)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmallwoodDR82

Hey Forum,

First post here.

Little about me: Cars are my passion and I know them in and out. I feel comfortable testing and soldering and/or removing things from a circuit board but it is not my main hobby.

I have a general understand but I might need kiddy gloves sometimes. With that being said thank you for reading and hopefully getting this fixed!

I have a Denon AVR 1612 receiver. Worked great for about a year. One day we went to turn it on and the red light started flashing (took me to red ring of death from xbox days)

I read up on it and basically as you know its protection mode. So I turned it off and back on and receiver came on with no problem and worked entire day.

To this day is still works and I still have sound from all 5 channels. However I have to turn it off and on about 5 to 10 times until it will fully power up. Needless to say we leave it on all day once it's on.

So this morning I was fed up and unplugged everything and put it on my work bench with nothing hooked up and tried to turn it on. Red ring still.... (only power connected)

I opened up the chassis and unplugged the power to the amp board (calling it that cause it's the best I could think of, its the board with the 5 channels on it) and the receiver will power up every time without red ring with that board unplugged.

So I have a few questions, does that mean is my problem within the amp board? Is my protection circuit where the problem is? I read a lot about output transistors shorting but if mine was shorted would my receiver even power up at all?

Just looking for a little direction.

Thank you again!
Daniel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…