Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DELL Insiron 8600 laptop power supply problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneyM

Ok I got this laptop from oversea's, and I bought it home and everything worked great til the damn dog eat the end of the cord, so I thought well I don't need this adapter for the power supply anymore I will just ad a regular Canadian or USA power cord to it, as the power supply says on it 65Watts, 100-240 AC 50/60 cycles, well sounds like it will work, I cut a new power cord for a regular computer power cable just at the end and now I have a White, Green and a Black wire, but on the DELL power supply its Blue, Yellow w/Green stripe, and Brown, oh boy, what am I to do, does anyone have the right wiring specs, which wire goes where?....

Thanks in advance :)

Tim
Kingston Ontario Canada

Last edited:
Why don't the different countries get together and use the same colour code for mains wires???

Put your meter on diode check and find the two wires that show some continuity. Those will connect to the white and black wires, it does not matter which connects to which. The wire that does not have continuity connects to the green wire.

Russlk said:
Put your meter on diode check and find the two wires that show some continuity. Those will connect to the white and black wires, it does not matter which connects to which. The wire that does not have continuity connects to the green wire.

Bear in mind this is almost certainly a switch-mode power supply, so it won't read across any of the wires!.

Russlk said:
You are right, I don't know what I was thinking. I guess he could just apply AC voltage and see if it works. There should not be a problem if the wrong two wires were chosen.

Like I said above, those are standard UK colours, so brown is live, and neutral blue.

wired...?

Ok thats sounds great guys, so now I have it all wired and my brother said I should soldier the connections, Blue goes to White, Yellow w/green strip goes to Green, and Brown goes to Black, I hope this works out, will save me about 47 bucks, thats what Dell wants for a power cord.

Thanks Again,

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back