Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Dell Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hank Fletcher

Two-and-a-half weeks ago I received my Dell Optiplex 755. Everything was fine, except they installed an ATI 2400 pro rather than an ATI 2400 xt graphics card. Not a big deal, but the second card is twice as fast as the first, and it was suppose to come with DVI and VGA outputs on the same card, which it didn't (just DVI, with two splitters, one for two VGA, or one for two DVI - not what I asked for).

The first headache started when my computer couldn't render 3D graphics - I just got the blue screen of death when I tried. The problem? They'd installed the xt driver, even though they installed the pro product. First Dell rep: useless (and kind of weird). Second rep: useless, and breathed into her headset. Third rep: figured out how to download and install the ATI driver, which is what ended up revealing that the card I had was not the card I'd ordered (and paid extra for, and by the time of writing this, has already be paid off on my credit card).

Okay, so something's rotten in Denmark: I figure I should either make sure they send me what I've ordered, or reduce the charge for the computer by the whole $20 extra I paid for the xt. Right? Well, there has been no convincing anyone on Dell that the most sensible solution would be to just refund the $20 difference (afterall, the pro was an option of, I think, three graphics card option when I bought my computer, it just wasn't the one I'd selected).

So then I convinced Dell that they ought to send me what I've order. At first they said, "Well, remove your current card and mail it to us, and we'll see what we can do." I was all like, "I don't think so, how about you fulfill you contract to me, and send me what you've charged me for, and I won't press for charges of mail fraud?" After I get what I've paid for, then I'll see if it suits my convenience and means to correct Dell's mistake of mailing out the wrong products by returning those products to them.

A few days later, the replacement part arrives: another ATI 2400 pro, not the xt it was suppose to be. So begins round three. I call up, they tell me how sorry they are, and promise me that in another few days I should be receiving the proper card. A few days later (the day before the day I was told to expect to receive the card), I notice the expected date for me to receive the card has now been bumped more than two weeks, down to August 8!

"The part may be out of stock at Dell," you might think, so there must be some time for them to get that product in, you might think. They've certainly suggested as much. But here's the deal: technically, they've waived my 30-day warranty rights on the whole computer package that I've purchased. This changes from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, but by Canada law, which supersedes even any contract between two parties, the purchaser is entitled to return any product within 30 days for a full refund.

It doesn't matter, for instance, what the 14 day policy might be on the back of your Futureshop receipt: you have 30 days. The idea is to protect the consumer, so that they can have opportunity to realize, reflect, and respond in such instances that may happen wherein they say, "Clearly I was insane at the time I made this purchase." Getting back to Dell: their 15% restocking fee should you choose to return your product within 30 days is at odds with Canadian law.

You see the problem? I can either decide to return the entire product, which will cost me about $120 in restocking fees, or resign myself to having paid $20 extra for a card never received. What's option three? Tolerate Dell's customer service, which has been my most insufferable experience as a consumer, ever!

Never mind that the people on the other end who have actually been able to help me have required, I absolutely kid you not, an average of 1 hour phone conversations each. Never mind that I've had to speak with 5 such reps to get this problem sorted. It's the wasted time and effort that bugs me: the constant buck-passing, the absolute disinterest in taking responsibility for the problem, the hang-ups (as in, simply hanging up the phone on me: "Oh, you must have been inadvertently disconnected, sir!), the lies (as in the fellow who told me that he needed to speak to my wife, because the purchase was in her name, even though the invoice I received clearly has my name written all over it!), and the sheer incompetence (as in, "Can you call back later? Our office computers are down," and my favourite, "I'm sorry I can't help you with that problem, I'm not really good with computers." I actually suggested to that person that perhaps working at Dell was not the job for them).

I'm sorry I don't have more tangible evidence on this. I recently bought myself a voice recorder, and I can"t wait to use it the next time (heaven forbid) I should have a problem in this vein.

The product that did arrive is good. All products (save this last resolution effort) have arrived quickly. It's just not the parts I asked for, which begs the question: if I could have spared myself this headache, but simply had to wait a few weeks to get exactly what I wanted, would I? The answer is: absolutely!

Last edited:
Holy sh..... your pis...... off !

I came to laugh but I feel your pain. I have always thought dell came from there but I didn't know it was the fallen angel.

kv:eek:

Last edited:
My stages of reactions roughly went like this:
- dismay
- frustration
- hopefulness (when I was expecting the replacement product)
- dismay, again (when I realized the replacement was also the wrong product)
- frustration, again
- resignation

I would feel bad, and I know this must seem like an over-the-top reaction for me, but I figured if any good could come of all this, I should at least do my part to serve as a PSA to warn other forum readers. The thing is, after looking on some public forums to try and determine what the best way to deal with Dell about this kind of problem is, it's come to my attention that my problem with Dell's customer service is trivial in light of some of the horror stories out there.

There was one forum about Dell Hell out there where the customer end of things is just a small fraction of the forum. Much of the forum is dedicated to opinions of disenfranchisement expressed by current and former Dell employees!

Last edited:
Empoyee's in Dell Hell Hmm

I think that this is a begging of a few things to be felt all over. Company's looking for shelter and pushing there employees out into the rain.

kv

I just posted the following to Dell's "Unresolved Issues" portion of the online customer service. Hmm... does the fact that a company needs to go so far as to have an additional "unresolved issues" section of customer services sound any warning bells for anyone else? Anyhoo, here's what I wrote:
Dell sent me the wrong graphics card with my order. When I contacted Dell to resolve this issue, Dell sent me the wrong graphics card, again. Both times the invoices indicated the graphics card I ordered and was charged for. I am writing to ensure that Dell does not commit mail fraud a third time. Yesterday, the customer representative I spoke with assured me that she would be in contact with me to explain why the replacement part, which initially was due yesterday, has now been slated by Dell for arrival on August 8. I have not received any contact from her since.

As I said, this is mail fraud twice over, and I've certainly done my part to assist Dell in making sure it doesn't happen again. I even tried to share the product number that's actually stamped on the product I was sent, so that the Dell employees could compare it with the actual products identified by Dell's inventory list, but that was met with the same poor quality customer service I have received during this entire process: no one has taken responsibility for ensuring the proper correction of the issue.

You have two options: you can either choose to effect a professional and legal resolution, or you can be forced to effect a professional and legal resolution. The choice is yours - please let me know what to expect.

Not that it should matter, but you might be interested in knowing that I'm a very active and vocal member of both my physical and online communities. I will be advising the appropriate personelle within the public education system, where I am a high-profile employee, of my experience with Dell. An expression of my disappointment with Dell's service can be found here: https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/dell-hell.40864/

Holy bejesus.

Do you realize you have open a can of incantation whoop ass on us. I'm seeing 666.

Help ! :eek:

kv:D

hi Hank,
Its been my [and others] sad experience when using a Dell product.

I wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole, or should that now be a 3 metre pole.:(

Last edited:
Yeah, I know that feeling well. I remember buying a GFX card and it blue screened my puter so I call up the GFX card folks. They gave me the 1-800 number for M-soft. Errr.

I prefer to build my own computer, then I get exactly what I want without all the bogus BIOS, and half an operating system with all the spyware included.

It took me forever to get all the Sony crap from my wifes VIO PC.

Hi Hank,

Last fall when I old laptop died, I considered some Dells. Unfortunately I've heard too many stories like yours to want to try to deal with them. I did recommend a Dell desktop to some friends a number of years back, and they never really had a problem with Dell. But then, when they had problems they called me, not Dell. I ended up going for a custom Asus which I could have bought from a number of sources, but I went with NCIX--they had the best price at the time. There was none of Dell's kind of support contract available, but as you've run into, their support can be. . .er. . .perhaps I shouldn't say. ;)

I did manage to trash my keyboard this spring, and was able to order a new one straight from Asus. It cost about $40 (including UPS), arrived within the week and I swapped it for the old keyboard in under 15 minutes.

I only mention that because I think you might be happier with something which offers more computer at the same price, but skips the pretty (and sometimes pretty useless) Dell support system. It involves doing a lot of the work yourself, but at least then you know what's getting done, and how. And there is no illusion that the seller knows how to support the product; all support is direct to Asus.

Morning Eric!

Torben

Well, the support services provided by Dell are a scam, so it's reasonable to discount that from any factor influencing a decision to buy a product from them. They might sell a variety of support services, or tout them as selling points, but the proof is in the pudding.

Think that's harsh? I just learnt last week that the New York Attorney General won a case in May 2008 against Dell, citing fraudulent practice. Misrepresenting products and services, misleading prospective customers, deflecting customer inquiries, illegal harrassment through debt collection agencies - Dell had it all! I expect Dell ought to be trying to clean up its image, otherwise this could be the Dell Hell Death Knell.

Just so people don't think I'm a perpetually cantankerous customer:

Yesterday I discovered an awesome, Canadian hobby store: Great Hobbies. They even have a location in my neighbourhood (kind of)! Their prices for the products I was interested in (Great Planes flex rods, various Tamiya items) were the lowest I found - anywhere!

I made two phone calls to them. The first was in the early afternoon, and the representative regretted to inform me that there would be two to three weeks wait period, because the parts weren't currently in stock. That suited me fine, so I told her the products and quantities I wanted. I had to leave in a hurry, so I said I'd call back later with my billing info. She said that's fine, gave me an order number, and said, "Even though the stores only open until 9pm, you can call customer service until 12pm."

So I called back a little after 10pm. The polite rep (I couldn't tell if it was the same person) took my number, and knew right away what my order was all about. I just gave my billing information, but instead of shipping, I wondered whether I could pick it all up when I was in the area in a week and a half. She checked out the items and noticed: they'd already been requested from their respective sources! That means, without providing any billing info, the person earlier in the afternoon respected and trusted my word so much that I'd be back later, that she took the initiative to put the wheels in motion. Further, she found out from the sources how long it would in reality take to get their products, and instead of two to three weeks, she nailed it down to about a week. That means that in all likelihood, the products will be at the store when I'm in the area. In case they weren't, the rep bent over backwards to make sure I was accommodated with the shipping solution that suited me best, i.e. holding the items until contacted, shipping the items before a date should they arrive at a certain time, etc.

Superb service so far, and excellent value! Clearly a company that understands that when people are investing in their hobby interests, the extent to which they have fun doing so is a big factor!

Last edited:
hi Hank,
I have found that the 'after sales service' hyped about with some of the bigger companies is just a very thin veneer.! give it a litlle scratch it with your finger nail and its chip board underneath.:)

"Clearly I was insane at the time I made this purchase."
There's your key statement amidst the whole mishap!! Dell has dropped to new lows with their customer service and a majority of their product line. Their PC cases are flimsy construction and most of the OEM components are avg. quality, off the shelf stuff. You'd be better off with a Gateway since they still have some resemblance of pride.
Computers are like anything else in the consumer world. Early models produced by a company typically were very good quality performers. This builds a good reputation for the company. As the years pass, QC begins to suffer from various issues (read as: corporate profits) and the famous promise of unparalleled customer service is nothing more than smoke n' mirrors!
This is the very reason I build my own PC anymore these days. I can control the outcome and desired performance. I make the choices of components and brands according to my research. If things should end up botched, it's my fault then, not so much as anyone elses (barring an unexpected, premature failure of a component).

You need to remain steadfast and demand the correct videocard that you ordered... returning the incorrect cards only after you have received, installed, and tested for a trial period, the ATI 2400 xt. You chose the faster videocard for a reason and you shouldn't settle for less, especially to keep a high performance system up to par. Don't give up on this quest.... uh, no, now it's a mission! Hopefully, the folks at Dell might pop their heads in this place and learn that there are numerous others who think lowly of present-day Dell products and customer support. :mad:

Last edited:
Yes, I say go Hank, stuff these big co's ripping our guts out.
And may they die a fiery death.

I personally have thus far, since my first PC, gone for the what's my needs, go buy the components I need, and build it myself approach.
Hell I'm a happy PC going chappy, can't complain of a days trouble, plus I've saved myself a pretty penny over the years.
"PC clones" if you like to call them that just can't be beaten.
No fancy name to stuff your day, just oodles of performance.
Bang for your buck.
That's the name of the game when talking computers.

I just bought a refurbished HP a few weeks ago, still haven't plugged it in. A little bit afraid of it. It's Windows Vista, and pretty sure you only get one shot at starting it up right the first time. Haven't had time to thumb through the book yet, kind of waiting for a paycheck to buy a monitor. Want to keep the XP running while I tame this new beast.

I just bought a refurbished HP a few weeks ago, still haven't plugged it in. A little bit afraid of it. It's Windows Vista, and pretty sure you only get one shot at starting it up right the first time. Haven't had time to thumb through the book yet, kind of waiting for a paycheck to buy a monitor. Want to keep the XP running while I tame this new beast.

hi,
I would recommend that as the refurbished PC is a HP, you download 'Driver Grabber' freeware. [other variants are available]

The grabber gets a copy from your hard drive of all the drivers on the PC and loads them into a 'Drivers' folder. Copy this folder onto a CD for future use, it makes a system recovery so simple.

I repaired a HP refurbish PC last year, the hard drive was completley dead.
I had one heck of a time trying to get the drivers, most of the hardware was on the motherboard and it was difficult to identify which driver was required.

The HP website is OK, but there are so many drivers on offer.:)

EDIT:
https://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Back-Up-and-Recovery/DriverGrabber.shtml

Last edited:

Nooooooooooooooo Vista :eek:

Are you sure you want to open that can of worms. kv:D

Nooooooooooooooo Vista :eek:

Are you sure you want to open that can of worms. kv:D

I have to agree here. If you don't have your XP install disc anymore (or it came pre-installed and you don't have the disc) then I'd say beg, borrow, or steal one from somewhere. Or try Linux. ;) I tried to give Vista a fair shake, but it wouldn't let me. It is seriously broken.

Both Linux and Mac OS do Windows networking much better (faster and more reliably) than Vista. For instance, stock Vista takes forever to copy large amounts of data from one machine to another. And in my experience, even trying this can bring the OS to its knees, requiring a reboot.

Vista might decide that you really should be typing in Korean. Mine did. There was no way to uninstall the extra language pack. I could temporarily disable the language packs, but they would re-enable themselves after some random period of time.

The user interface has random changes which don't make the experience better, just different. These changes don't have an obvious reason behind them, and appear to just be change for the sake of change.

Vista's vaunted Aero interface looks surprisingly amateurish and, for what it does, places a relatively large demand on the system resources. Compiz on Linux manages to do much more with less system drag and is not only much smoother, it also looks a hell of a lot better. And while many of its features are simply eye candy, many of them actually make using the system easier and faster.

Vista also had this annoying habit of losing the wifi connection at random.

I still have Vista on another partition on this machine, but I boot it only very rarely (every few months or so, maybe). For my other Windows needs I just run XP under VMware and I'm happy.

Really, I don't have anything nice to say about Vista, except maybe that given the options available these days, it's not necessary. :)

Torben

I If you don't have your XP install disc anymore (or it came pre-installed and you don't have the disc) then I'd say beg, borrow, or steal one from somewhere.

Well, there's always "warez"!!!:rolleyes: Let's hope you have a damn good AV and it's up to date!

Long live XP!

Well, there's always "warez"!!!:rolleyes: Let's hope you have a damn good AV and it's up to date!

Long live XP!

hehe. Every single time I've had to root out a virus or trojan, it's been something I could directly trace back to warez (even just visiting a warez site can be risky). I wouldn't recommend a cracked OS--that's just asking for it.

Torben

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back