Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Delete Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

spec

Most Helpful Member
Is it possible to delete a post- I can't see a way of doing it. If you edit the post to a blank it isn't accepted. If there is no way of doing this, could I request one.

I take it from your reply that there is no delete facility and also that it is not a good idea, and I understand that for a post that been replied to. But would a delete function be a good idea for the last post in a thread. For example, if you accidentally hit the submit button that post stays.

Could you please delete my post 148 here: https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/transistor-equivalent.146091/page-8 Thks

Thanks for suggestion. It just seemed tidier to have any dendritus removed from a thread, especially with me... many mistakes!

I take it from your reply that there is no delete facility and also that it is not a good idea

It's actually a VERY good idea :D

A forum is an historical record, and randomly deleting posts destroys that.

It's rare for a forum to allow deleting of posts, or even editing them after a few minutes.

It's actually a VERY good idea

Do you mean that it is a very good idea not to allow posts to be deleted? Because I did say that I understood that

A forum is an historical record, and randomly deleting posts destroys that.

I agree with that in principal, but at the moment a post can be effectively deleted by removing the content and putting deleted in. I am just talking about tidying up a thread. It's also a question of good faith. From what I have seen the EOT members seem pretty responsible; I can't see them randomly deleting posts, besides which, I'm pretty sure that ETO admin would sort out any misbehaviour.

It's rare for a forum to allow deleting of posts, or even editing them after a few minutes.

Apart from Wikipedia, where you have full editing control over talk pages etc, I agree. In fact some sites don't allow editing in general, but they do give you full editing rights on the last post of a thread, provided it is yours that is.

My request is no big deal. I just thought that it would help tidy a thread. Had I known, as Ian says, that you can leave a note to ask mod to delete, I wouldn't have asked the question in the first place.

Thanks to you all for your replies.

PS I was very pleased that ETO allows editing of posts, it's been a godsend! In one case I submitted a table of data which was for discussion. Various comments came in pointing out errors, not uncommon with me, and I ended up editing the table five times to get it right. Now that it is correct, we should be able to move on with the design. Without editing, there would have been four pages of junk data in the thread.

The attached block diagram shows the procedure involved in posting a simple circuit on ETO. I hope it illustrates how inportant the edit function is.

Of course this is just my view. I'm sure there are designers who don't need any iterrations- they are the genius types. :)

(Incidently the 'Sandbox' thread is related: https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/sandbox.146260/)

ETO_design_process_2015_11_23_Iss01.00.PNG

Last edited:
We have been through this discussion many times. The edit function is essential to a non-fragmented discussion. At some point, it was decided that for "established " members, the edit function would be available for a very long time (i.e., forever). For much less established members, the risk of individuals doing such edits to erase homework questions outweighed the advantages of allowing them to edit whenever. As I recall, they still had a limited period in which they could edit. I don't know what those limits were or whether they still exist, but it is frustrating to join a thread and find the original question has been removed.

You have 177 posts to date. As I recall, that would exceed the number needed to edit at anytime. The problematic cases typically had less than 25 posts, e.g., a student trying to get answers to homework due tomorrow.

I do not know the current policy, as it has not been an issue for me. Maybe someone more knowledgeable will fill in the details of the current policy.

John

What most people do is to just write "Mod please delete"! We find it as I view every single post!!

To get a post of mine deleted or modified by a moderator, I had the idea to "report" it, explaining what I was requesting. Worked always. Me clever boy.:happy:

We have been through this discussion many times. The edit function is essential to a non-fragmented discussion. At some point, it was decided that for "established " members, the edit function would be available for a very long time (i.e., forever). For much less established members, the risk of individuals doing such edits to erase homework questions outweighed the advantages of allowing them to edit whenever. As I recall, they still had a limited period in which they could edit. I don't know what those limits were or whether they still exist, but it is frustrating to join a thread and find the original question has been removed.

You have 177 posts to date. As I recall, that would exceed the number needed to edit at anytime. The problematic cases typically had less than 25 posts, e.g., a student trying to get answers to homework due tomorrow.

I do not know the current policy, as it has not been an issue for me. Maybe someone more knowledgeable will fill in the details of the current policy.

John

Thanks John- I did look for previous discussions on this subject but could'nt find anything. That is not say it's not there- ETO is a big site.
I hope you don't think I'm finding fault with the site- quite the reverse. I have had full editing rights from touch so that has never been a problem for me; like I said, this delete thing is only a minor point.

Last edited:
To get a post of mine deleted or modified by a moderator, I had the idea to "report" it, explaining what I was requesting. Worked always. Me clever boy.:happy:

:cool: You have an endearing way of putting things!

Yep, the <self deleted> and report works wonders. Usually a reason to delete a post is a double post, but not always. so even <double post> and report it. e.g. Edit it if you can and then add a few words.

As you have said too, you usually find the mistakes/edits you forgot just after posting. A missing ] or a misspelled word.

Remember to report posts too. ETO has very little SPAM. Occasionally some nut case will PM 10 people instead of posting.
Don't forget the clever advertising. Generally report posts will email addresses in the clear. I;m saying generally because I know of one member that prefers not to use the ETO PM/Conversation system.

ETO really likes titles of posts to be spelled correctly or if they don;t make sense for the subject matter at hand. I report these as well.

I know some pickyer forums. e.g. Al handles must begin with a capital letter. The Admin is the only one allowed to write in blue ink. No chat speak.

None of this https://www.ecenglish.com/learnenglish/lessons/can-you-read either.

Yep, the <self deleted> and report works wonders.

That is good, and it effectively gives the delete function I mentioned. But it does mean more work for admin. Most sites have the same arrangement but often it doesn't work too well. ETO admin must be on-the-ball.

Usually a reason to delete a post is a double post, but not always. so even <double post> and report it. e.g. Edit it if you can and then add a few words.
I have many many more than that. Very common with me is to hit the post button inadvertedly. In mittigation though, there are constant distractions; phone rings, wife wants to go shopping/out for lunch/TV controller stopped working... Google pops up and asks if I would like a holiday in the Seychelles, MS says their are new updates. Java script has stopped working.....

As you have said too, you usually find the mistakes/edits you forgot just after posting. A missing ] or a misspelled word.

It's odd isn't it. The trouble is when you have been working on something you become blind to the errors. On a few occasions I have made a real effort to get it right, but even then, the moment you post you see errors. The Sandbox thing would assist in this. It doesn't help that I'm word blind either. The other time when errors would surface is when the customer came to see the equipment/documents.

Remember to report posts too. ETO has very little SPAM. Occasionally some nut case will PM 10 people instead of posting.
Don't forget the clever advertising. Generally report posts will email addresses in the clear. I;m saying generally because I know of one member that prefers not to use the ETO PM/Conversation system.

ETO really likes titles of posts to be spelled correctly or if they don;t make sense for the subject matter at hand. I report these as well.

Got it

I know some pickyer forums. e.g. Al handles must begin with a capital letter. The Admin is the only one allowed to write in blue ink. No chat speak. None of this https://www.ecenglish.com/learnenglish/lessons/can-you-read either.

:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back