Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

delayed power-on one-shot

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonyV

Hello all.
I just discovered this site and I am really impressed by the great information being exchanged here.

Perhaps someone can help with this:

I would like to build a circuit that, upon power-up, delays a second or two, and then energizes a relay (small reed relay) for approx. 1/2 second, and then de-energizes the relay.

I know I can use a 555 as a one shot, but I'm not sure how to generate the initial delay after power-up.

I used to dabble in electronics all the time as a kid, but it's been many years now. In fact, when I was younger I built a circuit similar to this. When we first got cable TV (1980's!) and our TV did not have a remote control, the cable box came with a remote and would obviously change channels and power the TV on and off. However, the TV always went to channel 2 upon power up. After a couple years, the [3] and [enter] keys on the TV were getting kind of worn out, and it was a huge inconvenience to have to walk up to the TV just to hit the [3] key and the [enter] key. I built a small circuit that fired two relays in sequence and wired them onto the keypad of the TV to hit [3] and [enter] every time the TV was powered up. Of course that TV is long gone and so is my schematic and knowledge of how I did it!

Any ideas?

Thanks!

This should do.

Notice that I've left some components blank? The formula to calculate their values is on the datasheet for the 555.

Attachments

• Power on pulse.GIF
    Power on pulse.GIF
    3.1 KB · Views: 204
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back