Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Delay switch based on voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

prprog

I am building a drum controller and need a circuit that based on how hard you hit a piezo disc you generate 2 signals - one will activate a switch immediately. A second switch should be activated but with a time delay based on how hard the piezo was hit. Any suggestions?

eDrum site

Thanks for the eDrum site. I check this web site before...but the solution used a PIC , which already got analog inputs (ADC). My project involved no PIC so I am still looking on how to handle a delay switching based on the voltage generated by the piezo.

prprog said:
Thanks for the eDrum site. I check this web site before...but the solution used a PIC , which already got analog inputs (ADC). My project involved no PIC so I am still looking on how to handle a delay switching based on the voltage generated by the piezo.

It would seem stupid NOT to use a PIC? - it could be done (and was decades ago), but it makes it MUCH more complicated and expensive.

Nigel Goodwin said:
It would seem stupid NOT to use a PIC? - it could be done (and was decades ago), but it makes it MUCH more complicated and expensive.

....(I already made a Basic Stamp circuit and code that work very similar to the eDrum concept. It got ADC's that I added to manage the voltage from the piezo)...so it is not about doing a stupid thing not using a PIC , but more of a challenge...So again any suggestions on how to activate a switch (with time delay) based on the voltage generated by the piezo disc. (I dont want to used PIC or Stamps chips). [I have search the WWW for circuits but since I am not an expert I am not sure were to start] Thanks.

Check for 'sample and hold' circuits.

I'm always sceptical though when people say they want a 'challenge', spending lots of time and money to create an inferior project by using old technology - it's usually ONLY because it's a school assignment!.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Check for 'sample and hold' circuits.

I'm always sceptical though when people say they want a 'challenge', spending lots of time and money to create an inferior project by using old technology - it's usually ONLY because it's a school assignment!.

Thanks for the tip - I will check sample and hold circuits. No this is not a school assigment. I do electronics as a hobby.

delay switch based on piezo sensor

Hi. I am back to work on this project. Let me re-stated what I am trying to do. I have the "internal" circuit board of a MIDI keyboard. It is touch sensitive based on the time it takes to close 2 switches. So I figured that if I can find a circuit that can mimic this time closure switches I can make a drum or mallet controller out if this. So based on how hard you hit a piezo disc you generate 2 signals - one will activate a switch immediately. A second switch should be activated but with a time delay based on how hard the piezo was hit. Again any suggestions.?

A sample and hold circuit can catch the peak voltage value and the control voltage pin on a monostable 555 timer can vary the delay depending on the voltage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back