Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

delay off ....... then on

Status
Not open for further replies.

captnstoed

I just made up a test circuit using an LM555 ic. It lights an led for approx. 6-7 seconds then goes out. What I need it to do is delay those 6-7 seconds then pulse on long enough to trow a latching circuit using a dpdt signal relay (.2 sec or so). Im trying to figure this out and I know its simple enough, just cant think of how. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
here is the circuit I used.
**broken link removed**

captnstoed said:
fo course ... thanks, I'll give that a try. Is there another ic I could use that could do both functions?

Hi, Use 556. it is two 555s ina single pack

captnstoed said:
I just made up a test circuit using an LM555 ic. It lights an led for approx. 6-7 seconds then goes out. What I need it to do is delay those 6-7 seconds then pulse on long enough to trow a latching circuit using a dpdt signal relay (.2 sec or so). Im trying to figure this out and I know its simple enough, just cant think of how. Anyone have any ideas?

You could grab the lite version of proton+ and make life damn easy with a couple of commands, im not sure if this is exactly what you want, but its easy to modify (you can use any 16F series pic really, most are cheap and great, but theres a few that out perform others)

PHP:
Device = 16F876A		' Declare the device being used
Xtal = 4 				' Crystal Speed

ALL_DIGITAL = True		' Make all outputs digital

TRISA = %00000000		' Make all of porta outputs
PORTA = %00000000		' Set them all low

Symbol LEDS = PORTA.0	' The compiler will now change LEDS to PORTA.0 
Symbol Relay = PORTA.1	' and Relay to PORTA.1 whenever they are used now

Main:  		   			' Start of program

LEDS = 1			' Turn on the LEDS
	 Delayms 6000		' Delay for 6 seconds
	 LEDS = 0			' Turn them off

Relay = 1			' Turn on the relay
	 Delayms 200		' Delay for 0.2 Second
	 Relay = 0			' Turn the relay off

Goto Main			' Do it forever

Hi Gramo,

I am sorry to hijack this post but i was curious to know what language that code is for. I am studying microcontrollers atm and learning assembly. It looks like a higher level langauge just wondered which one.

Cheers

Andy

UPDATE: doh (homer simpson voice)...... just noticed its PHP

gramo said:
PHP:
Device = 16F876A		' Declare the device being used
Xtal = 4 				' Crystal Speed

ALL_DIGITAL = True		' Make all outputs digital

TRISA = %00000000		' Make all of porta outputs
PORTA = %00000000		' Set them all low

Symbol LEDS = PORTA.0	' The compiler will now change LEDS to PORTA.0 
Symbol Relay = PORTA.1	' and Relay to PORTA.1 whenever they are used now

Main:  		   			' Start of program

LEDS = 1			' Turn on the LEDS
	 Delayms 6000		' Delay for 6 seconds
	 LEDS = 0			' Turn them off

Relay = 1			' Turn on the relay
	 Delayms 200		' Delay for 0.2 Second
	 Relay = 0			' Turn the relay off

Goto Main			' Do it forever

no, its not PHP, i just use php 'quotes' as they dont take all the tabs/extra spaces out for the remarks that you throw in after commands, i.e.

Test ' Remark

PHP:
Test          ' Remark

Its all written in **broken link removed**, you can download the lite version, but it restricts you to 50 lines of code - still plenty to use for small apps.

Its really powerfull, and after a quick look through the help file you'll see just how much diversity the program has, and it doesnt stop at math, its the ease of use to interface with almost everything on the market today from LCD's to servos to almost any serial interface.

They have a **broken link removed** aswell that really has a great support network

thanks for that Gramo. Trying to become experienced in assembly but once i have mastered assembly i will convert to a higher language for the more complex circuits.

gramo said:
no, its not PHP, i just use php 'quotes' as they dont take all the tabs/extra spaces out for the remarks that you throw in after commands

Why not just use the 'Code' tag? - it's even on a button '#' on the Advanced entry setting.

Ok, Ive got the desired outcome using two 555's because thats what I have on hand.
On this PIC topic, how difficult is it for someone new to this, to get up and running? For instance, here are a few porjects I need to develop

1. @ the push of a button, set delay of 5 seconds, then random delay of 0-5 seconds that pulses a relay.

2. an IR Transmitter (just a beam) that works over 10 feet. Im looking at 38khz mod and pulses of 1400hz to be "seen" by the IR module.

3. A stopwatch with a large LED display to be used as a timer from point A to B.

Would it be worth while to learn PIC'S for all this? I am new to electronic components but learning quickly.
Is there anyone out there who devolops prototyes like this?
Thanks for all the help.

I will look into this. It sure looks promising and with the help of forums like this, I think I could figure it out. Once I get the proof of concept done there will be more time to learn P IC's.
I need to press on with my proto-types for now.
Thanks again.

If you do go the PIC direction, look at MikroBASIC as well. Not as nice as Proton, but for the startup price it is a good start.

captnstoed said:

Thanks
here is the circuit I used.
**broken link removed**
You could adapt a circuit that I posted for "Lazer" recently. It only needs one IC

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back