Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Delay after carriage return in simple text file

Status
Not open for further replies.

zek

I’m trying to find a way to put a pause or delay after each line's carriage return in a simple text file. I use hyperterminal (dummy term emulator) to send the text into a command line. I could use any terminal emulator but I’m currently using hyperterminal. Tia. zek

Why do you think you need a delay?

Well, the first line command completed after I did the Ctrl+M in the txt file. The second line did not go. A co-worker mentioned something about needing a delay ANYWAY, do I just need a LF line feed?? I assumed Ctrl+M would do that since I have a session open via telnet (hyperterminal ) to my command line interface of my norterl voice switch. What do you think??

If you look in file->properties->Ascii setup, you can set a delay after each line or a delay after each character.

Mike.

I'm not a programmer. I have the file on my desktop and I can right click on it and go to properties but there is only three tabs and no ascii setup or any setup. tia. zek

Well, the first line command completed after I did the Ctrl+M in the txt file. The second line did not go. A co-worker mentioned something about needing a delay ANYWAY, do I just need a LF line feed?? I assumed Ctrl+M would do that since I have a session open via telnet (hyperterminal ) to my command line interface of my norterl voice switch. What do you think??
Those coworkers and the things they mention can be a real PITA. When you say the second line did not go do you mean it never left the transmitter? That is not a problem of delay since a serial transmitter does not distinguish one character from another.

If you mean the receiver was not ready to swallow another line then you and your coworker might be onto something. There is no way to place a general purpose delay in a file without compromising the receiver which is already choking except to find the settings screen in hyperterminal that lets you adjust those parameters.

I got a PM from the OP to say my suggestion above fixed the problem. Just thought I'd post that in case someone comes across this thread sometime in the future.

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back