Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DEER chaser circuit idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrDEB

Did some reading about frequency of hearing of deer.(2Khz-6Khz).
This could be a money maker here in Salmon as the town is over-run with deer come spring.
Them critters just stand and look at you and continue eating ones garden plants etc.
The circuit utilizes a Parallax PIR sensor # 555-28027

contacted the company to find out more about this sensor as it may be able to trigger a 555 without the transistor (was contemplating a voltage comparator circuit)
The PIR triggers the 7555 monostable that runs for 10 seconds. While the 7555 outputs for 10 seconds the 7556 runs two astable osscilators ( at 2khz and 6khz) for 10 seconds.
need to find out if usable outside, range etc.
any suggestions are welcomed.

Attachments

• Capture3-9-2009-8.45.19 PM3-10-2009-9.08.28 PM.jpg
    Capture3-9-2009-8.45.19 PM3-10-2009-9.08.28 PM.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 288
PIR sensors etc

looking for a cheap PIR sensor and found this one
**broken link removed**

problem is = weather resistant as far as the lens?Thinking silicone around lens to seal.
I email company, waiting for response but figured I would ask.
On this DEER CHASER I am contemplating adding a 4066 with resistors that change the 7556 frequency outputs (cycle one output from 2khz to 4khz and second output from 6 khz to 4 khz.)
really agitate them deer!!!

Latest circuit revisions

Don't know much about piezo buzzers but planning on purchasing a 2khz and a 6 khz buzzer.
the 4066 change the frequency of each of the 556 output in steps output1 = 2khz, 3khz output 2 = 6khz, 5khz. then they recycle . hopfully a warabling sound??
This should scare them critters away??

Attachments

• Capture3-19-2009-10.44.17 AM.jpg
    Capture3-19-2009-10.44.17 AM.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 749
I saw a thing on tv years ago about zoo poop

well this is an electronic wildlife repellent.
going to order parts but wanted to get an opnion on the circuit workings.
no response as of yet.
got lots of people here in Salmon interested if it works.
as far as working, it should in theroy, I mean electricaly. Its just a 555 timer (556) with a 4017 cycling different resistors to alter the output frequencies of two seperate piezo sound devices.

This does not use sound but it is along the same lines.**broken link removed**

Last edited:
seen them but $$$ and not right sound

I have seen the water sprayer and the radio unit as well as the 12khz unit.
Problem is deer get used to the radio and water helps little as its just like rain.
the12khz unit is wrong frequency.
2-6khz is targeted towards deer. with the warbbling it should be anoying for the deer to be near
warbbling = in my circuit the two seperate piezo devices cycle from 2khz to 6khz
#1 goes from 2khz to 4khz.then back while #2 goes from 6khz to 4 khz then back.
IF I knew how to work with pic's it could be made cheaper and comsume less power

Yeah, I bet that stuff is easy to get =O And you probably have to apply it every few days.

About 1983 I visited a friend who had a garden being visited by deer. He was applying tiger scent that he got from the local garden supply center in Mill Valley, California.

Oh that's mean mike. Bet it works though =O

Last edited:
You lick an electric fence, tell me how much fun it was =) I imagine the description 'Truck to the face' would probably be accurate. But again, effective, and all in all probably pretty safe for the animal.

Last edited:
back to the schematic

I have been looking at the microchip slid show and now more confused than before.
is there an easy method to learn pic programming??
looking at several developement boards but how to program??
maybe with one in hand I might learn how but which one??
am sure this DEER CHASER could be developed onto a pic.
building the circuit pictured to see it in action.

Sorry MrDEB, can't help ya there, the first thing I recommend when someone asks what PIC kit they should use I say "Have you looked at AVR's recently?" There have been many good suggestions from blueroom about PIC kits, he even makes a few that look pretty good.

Last edited:
I recommend the Atom series from BasicMicro. You could buy the smallest PIC Nano Atom for $8 and the development board for $60. The board even has a mini speaker suitable for the frequencies you want. It's not large or powerful, but you can start out experimenting using it, then add a small amplifier and larger transducer later for field use.
The FREE! BASIC you download for this has commands to use the built-in hardware frequency generators. You can use both at once to get the "warble" you want. All you need is a Win PC with a USB port. Contact their forums through Basic Micro - Home if you have questions.
If you use the builtin hardware, you'll have the whole processor to calculate the speed of fleeing deer!

'Luck on your project!
kenjj

You lick an electric fence, tell me how much fun it was =) I imagine the description 'Truck to the face' would probably be accurate. But again, effective, and all in all probably pretty safe for the animal.
I'll lick an electric fence if you get hit by a truck. Then we can compare notes. Or at least I can compare them with the mortician.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back