Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Decoupling capacitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilimike

This is probably a stupid question and it was probably asked before but I searched and couldn't find any occurrence.
If decoupling capacitors need to be as close as possible to the IC they are protecting, why are they not integrated to ICs?
I am sure there is a good reason and looking forward to find out.

Mike

Two good reasons. Size and cost. Integrating a capacitor would make the IC package much larger and more expensive since practical cap sizes used to decouple ICs are much larger than the IC chip itself.

Fair enough, I was under the impression that within an IC there were already some caps but I guess not.
While I am at it, is it acceptable to place a surface mount cap under a DIL IC on the same layer that is, as the IC pins are long enough for the chip to sit on the cap?

Mike

Fair enough, I was under the impression that within an IC there were already some caps but I guess not.
While I am at it, is it acceptable to place a surface mount cap under a DIL IC on the same layer that is, as the IC pins are long enough for the chip to sit on the cap?

Mike

We usually call it a DIP, not DIL. From an electrical standpoint, there would be no reason to not do it. From a maintence standpoint, I think it would not be wise. Very often, the caps are installed on the opposite side of the board, under the IC.

Last edited:
There are IC sockets available with a cap built in, but more expensive than a standard socket and cap.

Opamps have a tiny 30pf frequency compensation capacitor built-in.
30pF is 3334 times smaller than a 0.1uF supply decoupling capacitor.

We usually call it a DIP, not DIL. From an electrical standpoint, there would be no reason to not do it. From a maintence standpoint, I think it would not be wise. Very often, the caps are installed on the opposite side of the board, under the IC.

Actually I always call it a DIP but I guess I had DIL in my head as I was just adding some devices to a schematic in Eagle and they call it DIL.

My question originated from a circuit I did with the goal to have the cap on the other layer under the chip but I forgot to switch its layer and it is when came the time to solder that I had realized my mistake, that's when I figured it still had a nice fit under a DIP chip.

About maintenance issue does a 0.1µ cap ever go bad?

MIke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back