Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Decade counter 4017

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok, i followed the previous instructions but it still didnt work, so i'm gonna tell ya what i have and maybe i'm missing something.....

i have a ne555 pulse timer working fine, i want that to drive the decade counter so the led's turn on and off from 0-9 i hooked the timer output to 14, 12 wasnt used, 13 & 15 tied to zero along with 8 and 16 was connected to Vcc. then what i did was tap the clock input with zero (because the 555 pulses 0) and hooked up one led just to see if it would light up and it didnt. do i need all my 10 outputs hooked up ? i understand the outputs go high so is a zero output from the 555 ok? maybe the zero terminals need resistors? any help appreciated, thanks, jim

Your Schematic?

Is it derived from this one?

Last edited:
This link shows what you are trying to do with the configurations for the 4017. I remember the last thread and it would have made more sense to continue it. Also, as mentioned if you could post a schematic of what you have exactly it would help.

Ron

i'll post it when i read how to, thanks Jim I see how it should be hooked up but i may have short circuited it from tieing in the wrong pins, and/or pins moving around, i need advice on soldering to a perf board with the pre drilled holes using wire. i wanna print out my circuit board and just solder my components in when i get better, i guess its true, ya learn a lot from making mistakes

Just a few thoughts,

When working with counters remember to tie all unused pins to some logic level (High or Low) as per datasheet.

Also when "touching" the clock wire to ground dont expect a single pulse as in ciruits mechanical connections suffer from "bounce". This means that your one quick touch to ground could have resulted in many voltage ossilations. (google switch debounce for more information)

When working with counters remember to tie all unused pins to some logic level (High or Low) as per datasheet.

Absolutely not!
You never want to short an output to the positive supply or to ground. Only inputs must not be floating.
The CD4017 has 11 outputs and maybe only a few are used.

Just a few thoughts,

ONLY input pins!

Connecting unused output pins to any logic level will kill the chip instantaneously!

Also when "touching" the clock wire to ground dont expect a single pulse as in ciruits mechanical connections suffer from "bounce". This means that your one quick touch to ground could have resulted in many voltage ossilations. (google switch debounce for more information)

The 4017 can only be clocked by a positive going pulse edge!

Boncuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back