Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Debug on/off and debug pins

Status
Not open for further replies.

large_ghostman

Most Helpful Member
i have been reading up on a datasheet (pic 30f4013), and it mentions the debug pins but dosnt really tell me much, so it got me wondering. with icsp you connect to mclr PGC PGD Vpp Vss, using mplab you can debug, ok all this i get, but in the datasheet above it mentions connecting ICD2 to debug pins.
so my question is i take it these pins are related to the whole debug on/off ffuse, but what facility does using debug on with these pins give you that is extra from normal debug with the usual icsp pins?? sorry if i havnt made it clear what i am asking.

LG

p.s not used 30f pics yet just reading up on the sheets, i have a 30f4013 i would like to have a go with. looks like it has some very neat features! i especially like the ADC on it and the compare module! (well i like what i have read in the sheet)

What IDE are you using?

The debug bit is usually automatically set or reset by the IDE that you use according to whether you have selected a debugging environment or a run environment.

PIC30F4013 datasheet section 20.10 talks about alternative EMUD/EMUC options, but I suggest that you not select any of the alternate options in configuration bits, else life gets complicated. Presumably these extra debugging-pin options allow debugging with the normal programming pins used for other purposes, but for beginners, I suspect that just avoiding use of all programming/debug pins is the easy option.

Neither the datasheet or my ramblings are clear, but if you just forget about the alternative options, I don't think you will be missing anything.

I have never heard of anyone using a "7-pin interface" for debugging before.

thanks i get what you mean now, it just confused me a little in the datasheet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back