Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DEBATE:UAV,DRONES and AGV permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
ALRIGHT THIS MONTH'S DEBATE TOPIC:::
1)Do you like unmanned vehicles?
2)Did you face any problems from this devices?
3)what type of caution do you take against this menaces?
4)Do you own any of this devices?
5)Don"t you want strict rules issued against the use of this devices?

NOTE: don"t feel bad if you own one we expect that you use them properly and won"t post anything offensive in here.thank you.

Actually I recently made a gauss accelerator to shoot down annoying drones!!!!

Go here and read about sUAV rules established by the Academy of Model Aeronautics : https://www.modelaircraft.org/
Here is a specific link to the general safety rules, pay particular attention to section B.9 : https://www.modelaircraft.org/files/105.pdf
AMA general safety rules said:
9. The pilot of an RC model aircraft shall: (a) Maintain control during the entire flight, maintaining visual contact without enhancement other than by corrective lenses prescribed for the pilot. (b) Fly using the assistance of a camera or First-Person View (FPV) only in accordance with the procedures outlined in AMA Document #550. (c) Fly using the assistance of autopilot or stabilization system only in accordance with the procedures outlined in AMA Document #560.
Finally, here is a direct link to document 550: **broken link removed**

The imperative in all of this for FPV is a direct visual line of sight view of the aircraft at all times by either its pilot or a safety observer when operating FPV.

I see negligible problems if those rules are followed. On the issue of invasion of privacy, the US has remedies available at law for individuals who are intruded upon. I have been flying RC models since Summer of 1953 when I was 9 years old, and most of our equipment was made from plans published in modeling magazines.

John

Last edited:
I understand the utility of drones. I do not trust the operators.

I live in an area with extensive civilian and military aircraft activity (a good deal over my head). Not unlike the numerous morons on the highways, there's an equivalent, subset crowd operating drones, i.e., not necessarily malicious but stupid to the bone.

Throw in some truly malicious terrorists and the odds of an aircraft disaster goes logarithmic.

Sure, rules are nice but enforcement strikes me as difficult to impossible. But, in that respect, I'm equally concerned (since the 1950's) that I'll get nuked into the stone age (Charleston is, without a doubt, targeted for saturation bombing).

Something more to live with, essentially. Worrying does no good and there's a certain rationale in embracing a fatalistic demeanor in that I'm assured I won't have to deal with the aftermath.

In a sense, Chicken Little had a point...:woot:

Please excuse the bummer post.

The whole point of the AMA effort is to get rid of the idiots. The American tort system helps. There is no liability insurance for those operating outside the rules. The problem is lack of enforcement. Our courts don't seem to take violators seriously.

Take the recent example of some fool flying his multicoper in NYC well up the side of a skyscraper. He was in violation of all sort of rules (e.g., altitude, crowds, no safety zone). He bumped into the side of the skyscraper and crashed on the sidewalk below. The doorman collected the copter and the fool had the chutzpah to ask for it back. Cops were called and the fool got the equivalent of a parking ticket from what was reported. He should have been in jail. Just carrying an unlicensed handgun in NYC (not firing it) can get you a term in jail. There was another instance several years ago in which some idiots flew an FPV fixed wing drone around NYC and posted it on YouTube. It got raves.

I disagree that enforcement of drone regulations is even difficult. The drone can be captured and/or tracked -- just try flying one within 40 nm of the President when his visits your town and see what happens. There is of course, the endless argument that penalties do not deter crime. This type of crime fits in the category where a stiff penalty (make it a felony when done in NYC as above) will deter many thrill seekers.

The alternative to regulation is usually to make something illegal. The RC model aircraft industry is small, but it it is well established and has an excellent safety record. It is virtually 100% recreational, except for a few companies or individuals who specialize in surveys and such. Such commercial uses have been prohibited without a special license for quite awhile. On what rational and Constitutional basis can such an activity be made illegal?

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back