Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

dead capacitor in powered mixing desk

Status
Not open for further replies.

boy_davey

Hi there I have a problem with my mixing desk and only a basic knowledge of electronics (from a sound engineering degree a very long time ago) and was pointed in your direction! please be gentle :)

The internal 15A fuse blew at a gig in a village hall with some suspicious sockets, the problem is when it went it appears to have melted the side of what i think must be a smoothing capacitor. So i cannot read the value and replace it.

As i can't find schematics my question is: is there a way to find the correct value? or are there some ways i could narrow it down.

is a big ask so thanks for any advice in advance

Welcome to the forum!
it appears to have melted the side of what i think must be a smoothing capacitor
Chicken or egg? It's possible the capacitor failed (they commonly burst open) and took the fuse with it.
is there a way to find the correct value?
Tell us the make/model/etc of the desk. Someone here may then be able to tell you the value. If that fails you could measure the cap dimensions and look in online catalogues for something similar to give a clue.

you may have had pure ac straight on the smoothing cap if a diode went short circuit. I suspect a diode short somewhere or other. its likely at 15a the fuse was killed and didnt die.

cool. Its a Phonic Powerpod K-12 1000W into two channels at 4Ohms. from whats left of the cap its 20mm ish in diameter black disc type if that narrows down the variety a little.

If that 20mm diam thing is only a few mm thick then it may not be a cap. Could be a TVS (transient voltage suppressor)/thermistor. Can you post a sharp close-up gif/png image of that part of the circuit?

P6180027.JPG

here is the little fella in question, don't know if thats a bit too close to see

Notice just to the right there are two designations on the board (C918 and Cxxx) - what is the designation of the failed component?, 'C' means it's a capacitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back