Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DC v/s AC drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

aleen

well i am a bachelor student of electronics and for my final year project i'm planning on electric drive system. And on that topic i would like to know the merits and demerit of both the DC and AC drive in comparision to each other; so if u think u know some plz post that

Last edited:
if by AC and DC drives you mean:
Sinusoidal output and trapisoidal output when driving syncronous machines of said type the:

Sinusoidal will have lower torque ripple then Trap
However, sinusoidal will pull modulated power from the power network (6pulse type - reflected on the DC-link as well)
it also has more complicated control
And there is a a bandwidth limitation.
If you want a fundemental of: 1khz, then yr current-loop bandwidth needs to be 10khz and realistically yr switching freq needs to be 100Khz

ie not gonna happen (with decent power).

Trapisoidal is basically oposite of all that, but you can end up with some nasty commutation notches/spikes if you are not careful

I have not looked into the problem of drive power, but I forsee problems with starting torque and efficiency with AC drive. DC drive has been used for many years and is well researched. If you want a challange, AC drive may do that for you but if you want results, go with DC drive.

Do they have a mandatory English class at your University aleen?

Anyway I have no idea what your trying to say/talking about.

AC makes machines that are simpler and cheaper that are easier to control and can be powered off mains. DC machines are more expensive but easier to control.

Russlk said:
I have not looked into the problem of drive power, but I forsee problems with starting torque and efficiency with AC drive. DC drive has been used for many years and is well researched. If you want a challange, AC drive may do that for you but if you want results, go with DC drive.

thanks for ur suggestion.

TrevorP said:
Do they have a mandatory English class at your University aleen?

Anyway I have no idea what your trying to say/talking about.

well i am trying to figure out that in an electric vehicle; what kind of driving system (DC or AC motors) could be simple, economical, durable, etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back