Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DC total current counter

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirSparks

I would like to have an inexpensive simple Ampere Hour Meter for a 12 volt system with a widely varying max flow of 150 amps and a counter. The system does not need to be terribly accurate so need not make provision for varying charge voltage, in fact it need not measure amps exactly just some arbitrary unit of accumulated charge. It does however preferably need to count UP on charge units and count DOWN on discharge units leaving a net charge/discharge value.

I would prefer it to work with a current shunt already in place ( 200 amp 75 mV) and I would prefer to purchase an inexpensive ready soldered module(s) to achieve this. I have thought of possibilities such as a linear voltage to frequency converter but would really like the input of you guys to keep it simple and inexpensive. Accuracy is not as important as repeat-ability as I can use a table correlated to acid specific gravity to obtain meaningful numbers from any arbitrary count.

As battery voltage is a poor indicator of State Of Charge right now I am using some data tables I assembled over the last couple of months, they are detailed and save the hassle of daily Specific Gravity readings on multiple cells. They work simply by correlating the contemporaneous Charge currents at various charge voltages to the specific gravity and hence State Of Charge.

These tables should be a good approximation for any deep cycle flooded lead acid battery bank in good condition and can very easily be modified for different ampacities and system voltages

I think it might be very useful to some if I downloaded them here but I don't seem to be able to do so with this .ods extension (Open Office). Thoughts?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back