Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DC to AC ***PLEASE HELP***

Status
Not open for further replies.

bvb681

I have a generator with two outlets on it that provide 115 vdc and 15 watts. I can use a grinder or drill with it but I would like to be able to use it for other purposes. I have racked my brain and searched all over the net for a way to convert it to 120 vac. Is there anyone out there that can tell me a way to do this without spending hundreds of dollars. I just know that there has to be some kind of feasible way to do this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

A DC grinder and drill? Never heard of that :lol: Are you sure that it provides DC? How do you know?

Do you mean 15 amps, not watts?

GOOD THING YOU PUT IT IN LARGE LETTERS, I NEVER WOULD HAVE BEEN ABLE TO SEE IT OTHERWISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[/b]

well on the grinder and drill subject, all of your basic angle grinders and corded drills are compatable with both ac and dc. And to give more detail as to what kind of generator it is. It is a portable welding machine with two 115 vdc outlets. The actual generator is 30 vdc and 300 amps.

Huh, never knew that AC motors can also accept DC. Learn somethin new every day.

I'm not sure exactly how you're going to convert the DC to AC, but an electronic solution would probably be impractical due to the large amounts of power involved. I'm not sure but there's probably some way of doing it mechanically . . .

zachtheterrible said:
Huh, never knew that AC motors can also accept DC. Learn somethin new every day.

An 'AC' motor can't accept DC, but all the portable drills and grinders I've ever seen use universal motors, these work on either AC or DC. For a simple 'test', if it's got brushes it's probably a universal motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back