Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DC power supply from LAN point

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdanh2002

I stay in a (rented) room which has 4 access points for the local area network (LAN). Since I'm using only one of them, I recently woder if it's possible to take out any DC voltage from the other 3? Maybe just for fun, or maybe to feed into some circuits. :D Is this possible?

What kind of local area network are we talking about? Ethernet? Probably not much power available if any. Why are you even worried about this? Can't you use an ordinary power supply or batteries like everyone else? Or do you get off stealing power from some other poor shlub?

I tried this a few days ago. Cut an Ethernet LAN cable into half, then search google on the interface. I was doing all sort of funny things to the cable output: measuring current, voltage, amplifying, filtering, and even feeding into an oscilloscope! ;) I get it to light up a LED but it wasn't very bright. I kept trying and gave up at midnight when I could not find anything useful. :(

The next day as I was about to leave my room and rush to my office, a guy from the residence office came, said that their system indicated a problem with the network point in my room and ask to investigate. lol. Luckily he stayed in my room for half an hour and did not find out anything. (the test circuit was just next to the network point). :p

But, in the end, I was scolded by my boss for being late for work. :mad:

I hope they charge you for the repair to the cable system. What gives you the right to cut someone elses cable, compromising the system and causing other users distress. Your behavior is criminal at worst, and unethical at best. I hope this tendency toward unethical behavior prevents you from getting a degree, or getting a job where your decisions may affect the health and safety of other people. A pox on all your houses!

Don't they cane people in Singapore for this kind of stuff?

POE is used for some applications. surf around Maxim/Dallas semiconductors site. I saw it there last time i vsited it and ordered samples. www.maxim-ic.com

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Papabravo said:
I hope they charge you for the repair to the cable system. What gives you the right to cut someone elses cable, compromising the system and causing other users distress. Your behavior is criminal at worst, and unethical at best. I hope this tendency toward unethical behavior prevents you from getting a degree, or getting a job where your decisions may affect the health and safety of other people. A pox on all your houses!

Don't they cane people in Singapore for this kind of stuff?

Haha I did not cut someone's else cable. :D There are extra Network points in my room so I used my OWN cable, cut into half, connect to those one of network points and play with it. That was how the guy didn't find it out. ;) If tamper with the cable system for sure they will detect it. I'm wise enough to know what I'm doing. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back