Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DC Power Jack Pins

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeannie

Hi, I replaced the dc power jack on a dell inspiron 1150, but it still doesn't work. I'm not sure if I got solder good enough on one of the pins. Can someone tell me what each pin's purpose is or how to find out so I know what that particular pin is supposed to do? Thanks.

Edit: Email Address removed.

Any pics?? We need more info! type of plug etc:

jeannie said:
Hi, I replaced the dc power jack on a dell inspiron 1150, but it still doesn't work. I'm not sure if I got solder good enough on one of the pins. Can someone tell me what each pin's purpose is or how to find out so I know what that particular pin is supposed to do? Thanks.

Edit: Email Address removed.

hi,
This model seems to be prone to connector problems, look at this link it may help.
Do a Google search for: 'dell inspiron 1150'

https://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/54138/

yes, I looked at that site, that's where I figured out that it's a problem with this machine and what the problem was so I tried fixing it cuz' I figured I had nothing to lose really. I'm trying to attach a photo of the jack so the previous reply can see which jack I'm talking about. Hope this works. Thanks so far!

My photo doesn't seem to want to attach, go to: **broken link removed** which is where I bought it. Should be a picture there of the jack.

jeannie

hi,
Look at the link.
Attached pix, lightened the image so that the holes in front of the connector can be seen.

It may help if others can now see the connector.

Hope this helps..:)

Last edited:
ahhh thats a weird plug, never seen that one before?:confused:

Ok, according to the attached picture from Eric (thank you, by the way) - there are three pins pointed to with yellow lines marking them as power pins. The pin I'm questioning my soldering on is between two of the yellow-marked pins on the opposite side of where you would plug in to. I hope I'm clear on this. I think at this point, I'll need to have someone else fix it, but I'm a person that needs to know what-who-when-and-why for everything. So, if anyone can tell me what that pin's job is, maybe that would explain why I only get the lights to flash once, but no power up.
thanks.
jeannie

Dell not only use the worst power connector in the world, they compound the problem on the 1150 by making the computer recognise the power supply, and refuse to accept power from a non-Dell power supply.

The cable is tri-axial, and the cores from the outside in are:-
ground
+ve
data

The data line connects to a 1-wire eeprom in the power supply, and this is what the computer recognises. I think that the computer only has to see this once each time the power supply is connected.

I have change the power supply connector on a couple of Dells to something that works. I used a 5 way connector, using two of those for ground, two for +ve and one for data. You certainly can't use just two connections.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back