Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DC or AC in Doorknob capacitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparky_s

Can a Doorknob capacitor be charge using High Voltage DC?
I don't know if I must to use AC Electricity.

Power Source: 3,5KV 9mA DC

Capacitors I have:
33pF 10kV 40kVAR Doorknob Capacitor

All kind of capacitors can be charged only with DC?

I ask you this question because I have seen this circuit:
**broken link removed**

And it seems that the capacitor is being charged with AC, instead with DC. Of course, there is a spark-gap and I don't know if the sparkgap has something to do with that.
Can someone explain if the capacitor is being charged with DC or AC?

All kind of capacitors can be charged only with DC?

I ask you this question because I have seen this circuit:
**broken link removed**

And it seems that the capacitor is being charged with AC, instead with DC. Of course, there is a spark-gap and I don't know if the sparkgap has something to do with that.
Can someone explain if the capacitor is being charged with DC or AC?

The capacitor isn't 'been charged', it's used to transfer AC - as a coupling capacitor.

AC applied across a capacitor will alternately charge and discharge the capacitor twice each AC cycle, once positively and once negatively.

If by "charge" you mean charge the capacitor to some voltage level and maintain the charge, then you need to use DC.

Actually it's being both charged and discharged at the frequency of the AC signal, if you were to remove the AC signal at the peak of the waveform the capacitor would remain charged, this is how diode rectifiers are used to turn AC into DC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back