Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DC motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mahmoud shendy

Dear All, I still in my design problem:
I have a DC motor ( Field and Armature ), both Field and Armature Resistances are 0.8 Ohm.
The motor has a label written on it:

180VDC
8Amp (20Amp)
7200rpm

Now, I need to control the speed of this motor and brake it after power off
where it takes about 15 minutes to stop rotation.

What is the best way to such control?
Shunt or Series wound recommended?
How to overcome the Extremely Large starting currents?

By the way, I know much about power electronics and switching devices such as MOSFETs
and made many times PWM control for DC motors but NOT in such ratings.

I need your advice, many thanx..... SHENDY

Dear All, I still in my design problem:
I have a DC motor ( Field and Armature ), both Field and Armature Resistances are 0.8 Ohm.The motor has a label written on it:

180VDC
8Amp (20Amp)
7200rpm

Shunt or Series wound recommended?

If both windigs habe similar resistance then it is a series wound motor.

How to overcome the Extremely Large starting currents?

You must limit the starting current feeding a lower voltage (via a variable supply or PWM) or adding a series resistor (only during motor start)

Last edited:
Dear All, I still in my design problem: I have a DC motor ( Field and Armature ), both Field and Armature

Hey Shendy, you need to establish clearly in your own mind whether this is a PM or series wound motor, or even something else. (It seems you have started three separate threads in as many days for the same issue, and before you said it was a PM motor...)

Once you have established your precise motor type, consult the Bodine Motor Handbook and it will show you how to control its speed and to brake it properly. You'll have to register with them to get it, but it's free. You can then dowload the whole handbook, chapter by chapter. It's a great reference:

The Bodine Electric Handbook: Sample Chapter

hi Corey..
Actually in the previous days I said that it is A PM, but after testing the motor, I found that it is DC motor has Armature and Field Coils..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back