Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DC motor to robotic servo

Status
Not open for further replies.

max_imum2000

hello,
i am wondering if there any circuit or IC that i can connect to a normal dc motor to convert it to servo like futuba and the ones used in robotics ?
not like encode type servo.

i will appricate your help very much

max

The problem is sourcing the chips, it's unusual to find them for sale anywhere. Easiest method is probably to buy an RC servo and strip it!.

Bear in mind, they are only desinged to feed small motors, you will have to add extra drivers to feed a larger motor.

Another option is to use a PIC to decode the signal and driver the motor, again obviously with external drivers.

max_imum2000 said:
thank you nigel for your reply.
for the driver you mean a regualar h-bridge type ? or maybe something else ?
thanks

An H bridge, because a servo (obviously!) has to be reversable. If you use an IC out of an existing servo, you might need to alter the H bridge somewhat, depending what the connections are from it.

here's a project to replace the electronics of a standard servo with a better design. should be pretty easy to adapt to your needs. **broken link removed**

Yup Openservo was what I was thinking about too. All you need to do is make an H-bridge hook and potentiometer and hook both up to a uC. The hardest part is hooking up the potentiometer to the motor shaft for position readings. That's pretty much all a digital servo is.

max_imum2000 said:
hello,
i am wondering if there any circuit or IC that i can connect to a normal dc motor to convert it to servo like futuba and the ones used in robotics ?
not like encode type servo.

i will appricate your help very much

max
i shall see it later

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back